As much as I love the game and Developers...

@malcolm_tucker
But then is it realistic that the D-538 is way more powerful than the K-700? I'm not so sure, but I haven't looked up the specs. I have seen videos of real K-700's showing off some major pulling power (in tug-o-wars with other tractors and such).

@Unster I don't think of it in terms of realism because the game is too basic in how it simulates vehicle physics. I go mainly by how it feels when driving it rather than whether certain stats in the xml make logical sense or not.

I don't have a clue about the real machines either but I'd imagine the 538 would be a lot faster than a K-700 because its designed for a different purpose. The way st simulates means that if it's more powerful then it will tow a lot better as well, when really there's a lot more to it like diff and gearing settings that we don't have in the xml. A decent C class can tow just as much weight as the K for example.

@unster said in As much as I love the game and Developers...:

@malcolm_tucker
But then is it realistic that the D-538 is way more powerful than the K-700? I'm not so sure, but I haven't looked up the specs. I have seen videos of real K-700's showing off some major pulling power (in tug-o-wars with other tractors and such).

Well, in my case, I drive an old American Military truck daily. It is a 1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2C, the engine is called a Multifuel Continental Hercules LDT-465. It is a 548ci (9.0L) six cylinder turbo diesel. My engine is rated at 200 hp / 900 ft-lbs @ 2800 RPM. And I have pulled ALOT of weight, pulled telephone poles out of the ground, pulled fully loaded 10- wheeler mack trucks out of mud holes, etc.

All the trucks in Spintires don't feel as powerful as my truck is, they are close, but the D-538 is like its firing on 1 or 2 cylimders. I will try to find real life specs of the D-538

Ok, so the MAZ-538 is supposed to have rear steer, supposed to have 375 hp, which would give it at least 1000 ft- lbs or torque, because the engine is a 33L engine. Wow so it is seriously underpowered. 33L is over 2,000 cubic inches of displacement, see my army truck is 1/4 the cubic inches of the MAZ's motor. Says the MAZ is a V-12 which produce low power (low RPM) but very high torque.

I am a diesel mechanic by trade, so this is my forte.

Hey @Unster , just for 5h1ts and giggles, if you dont mind could you go onto the proving grounds and implement what 1000 ft lbs would be for the 538 and see how it operates?

Let me know what you get or how it does

@1967deuce The Torque figure we're referring to isn't a literal torque figure, it's the only setting we have for 'engine power'. The 220 for the 538 is actually 220,000 units of power (torque and hp combined).

Right. We don't know what units the game uses.

Deuce, is that 33L displacement right? That seems insane. I'm a diesel guy myself, not a professional mechanic, but a DIY-er, though currently I don't own a diesel.

Deuce, is that 33L displacement right? That seems insane. I'm a diesel guy myself, not a professional mechanic, but a DIY-er, though currently I don't own a diesel.

yes, it says a MAZ-538 has a v-12 from a t-34 tank, 33L engine yes displacement, making the D-538 supposedly the most torquey vehicle in the game

so that means 2.75L per cylinder. sounds correct. my deuce is 1.5 L per cylinder

The Kirovets K700 isn't too powerful compared to the MAZ-538, its about half the power, soooo yes the D-538 seems like its running on 3 of 12 cylinders

ok, so did some more digging, the D-538 (MAZ-538) has the exact same motor as the D-535 (MAZ-535), so could you look up what the torque value is for the D-535? this is what the 538 should be, I know the D-535 is very powerful and operates as it should in the game

That's what others said too (D-535 having the same engine as the 538). In that case the torque should be 220 instead of 120. I forget if the D-535 is a 4 star vehicle too. If it is, then I guess I'll set my 538 to match that.

last edited by Unster

Yup all the D's are 4 stars. I've tried the 220 torque and it'll work for me. Now it's powerful, as advertised. Watch the fuel gauge! It's more thirsty now. 🙂

last edited by Unster

Guys, I don't want to break up your dreams, but I am afraid that you are in dead end...
As you can see in this topic mentioned by @Pavel himself, engine and gearbox is not a thing in this game (right now)
https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/5243/truck-lua-object/43
Value you are talking about has no connection to real world, its just "game unit".
It's a base source for all "engine" values, so torque/power ratio is somewhere deeper in the game, you can't handle it (on this level).
And finally (and this is just my idea based on Pavel's info and my XP with game, but I feel it as true) because there is no technical background for engine, gearboxes and differentials of any kind, game doesn't split engine sources per wheel that is powered at the moment. Engaging AWD you (probably, by me) add that engine value from XML multiplied by number of front wheels (4 for 535, 2 for 538). You have, basically, engine in each wheel separately. If I am correct on this, and you want to make 538 equally powerfull to 535, it should be like this:

D538/4=D535/8

That makes number handling even more insane...

last edited by Sodoma

Thanks @Sodoma that's what I was trying to put across, and that very interesting thread confirms what I thought was happening 👍

@sodoma
That's interesting. It sounds like you're saying to make them equally powerful, the 538 should have 2x the torque value of the 535, since it has half the number of wheels. But that doesn't seem right. With torque of 220, the 538 seems powerful enough, on par with the 535. Certainly better than the original torque of 120!

last edited by Unster

For clarity @Sodoma , the creator of the game has said the performance of the d538 is as intended?

A lot of us were wondering that and asked that, but never got a response. I was kind of on the fence about whether it's a bug, and now I'm leaning toward it being a bug.

@grubdumpling
I don't know about any information about that.
What I've said above is just about functionality of game as I understand it. nothing more.

That've been said, vehicles in game are more about "do it somehow to achieve proper feeling and game balance" rather than "do it exactly like this, because this is accurate".
And I have no idea, how powerfull 538 should or shouldn't be, so far, I had no problem with stock one...

@Sodoma yes i agree that the d538 works as it is, though it runs out of torque before traction so it appears to be underpowered. I guess i fell for the mob screaming about how it needs the same motor as an 8x8 to be real, and i haven't used it much since my first playthrough of dlc. I figured i wouldn't want to get used to it if it was going to get an update. The realism issue is also related to tire spin, not just expectations. The d538 should spin it's tires or stall when it runs out of "ability to move forward", unless it's got a messed up tranny.

To be honest as it is the d538 makes the k700 more valuable to me, as i'm not put off by the handling, and the loader is more "fun" to use. The k700 has other uses too, but back to scavenging neither one is my first choice for loading... i like the c260 because it can load itself with small and med logs, and has the ability to carry long logs if someone else can load them.

I appreciate game balance, so i can accept that the d538 is the way it is for a reason, if that is the case. I hear what you are saying, Sodoma, to keep the d538 comparable to the k700, it has to perform similarly, so it needs to be nerfed to keep it in line when it comes with better accessory options.

@grubdumpling
If you prefer K700, it's up to you, that's why there is more vehicles in a game than you can use on single map. 😉
I think both of them have upsides and down sides and I can use any of them, no strict preferences.

Some vehicles may have more traction than torque. That depends on surface and actual situation, but in general, spinning wheels is not a thing you (should) want. If I am not mistaken, IRL D538 has a torque coverter, therefore I see situation like "engine roariong, but vehicle is not moving uphill with heavy trailer" as a quite possible. But I have no real expiriences, so... 😂