Derry Longhorn New Engine - Update With a Comparison Video

Hello Guys,

Is the new Engine the V8 3200T is set properly on the current 16.2 PTS version? If yes, I think you guys may want to review it. I am doing some testing and comparing it with the old engine and the performance is pretty much the same so far.

Left is old engine and right new engine

Youtube Video – [01:32..]

Thanks

last edited by Henriquetavares

@amynue said in Derry Longhorn New Engine:

Here is my in-depth review:

I am making one as well with more details. Looks like they just tossed a new engine there without test it properly so far.

last edited by Henriquetavares

When I tested the DL 4520 with the CAT 745C engine, I could stay still in high gear and the engine wouldn't stall and break.
The new engine unit number for torque sits beetween the latest highest one and the highest one from the CAT 745C, and without any other parameter of the DL changed, it does make it behave properly.

Now if you intend to use a very heavy truck to pull cargo offroad, I'm not surprised its wheels will stall.

I just tried the exact same spot.
Of course it can't get up on the road at around 3:14, it only has 6 wheels on the ground, two are up in the air. You'd turn right just a little bit and he climb just fine.
Plus, it climbed the hill just fine once you switched it from L+ to L, it stopped because it only had 6 wheels on the ground, not all 8 ....

Anyway, I'm more than content with the new engine, balanced with everything else and not OP like a mod would be.

@amynue I had to log in to thank you for the good laugh πŸ˜ƒ IΒ΄ve seen the video with the russian driver, but alongside with the gameplay is priceless πŸ˜ƒ gg

As someone pointed out too me, the truck is way heavier than it should. According to the spec sheet, it should weight 17.7t, but instead it weights 26.6t. This might be the root cause of its problems with wheels refusing too spin.

https://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/spec/M1070 Spec Sheet.pdf

last edited by Amynue

@amynue Are the trucks weight actually representative of their real counterpart weight ?
I'v never compared the numbers.
Looks like the DL is 25000 units of mass in the Xml.
Where do you get the 26.6t ?

last edited by DJbarro

@djbarro said in Derry Longhorn New Engine - Update With a Comparison Video:

@amynue Are the trucks weight actually representative of their real counterpart weight ?

Yeah most truck's in-game weight is very close to their real counterpart.

Looks like the DL is 25000 units of mass in the Xml.
Where do you get the 26.6t ?

25000kg from truck's xml is doesn't include wheels. Derry uses Heavy wheels which weight 200kg each, so 8x200kg=1600kg= weight of all wheels

last edited by Amynue

@henriquetavares said in Derry Longhorn New Engine - Update With a Comparison Video:

Hello Guys,

Is the new Engine the V8 3200T is set properly on the current 16.2 PTS version? If yes, I think you guys may want to review it. I am doing some testing and comparing it with the old engine and the performance is pretty much the same so far.

Left is old engine and right new engine

Youtube Video – [01:32..]

Thanks

What was it? A 3 second gain on that uphill hill climb? Pretty significant improvement if you ask me. The old engine did get faster in that one mud run, but power doesn't really matter to much in mud, it's more about reducing wheel spin. So either engine could win a mud run.

@amynue said in Derry Longhorn New Engine - Update With a Comparison Video:

Here is my in-depth review:
Youtube Video

Not the best test. You aren't even on any kind of road or trail and your trying to over shape point at the top of the hill.

I ran mine up the decently steep hill near the log station in Black River, ran it in High as far as it'd go and shifted it to Low and it just crawled. Not sure why she need the diff put in on hard ground though, but it's SnowRunner, I've come to expect odd quirks like that.

Youtube Video

This is of course on the old engine as I'm on console. Truck does feel weaker then it should be, but it's by no means unusable. It can get a load of long logs up a pretty steep hill, it can go though mud pretty well. It won't do anything fast, but the Derry can get the job done.

I can't see how the new engine could possibly hurt it.

What was you guys expecting? For the Derry to just suddenly turn into the next Western Star Twin Steer. Just power over everything easy mode style with not a care in the world?

I was never expecting the new engine to make the Derry into a different truck, just to take what's there and give it a little boost. Which seems to be what it's doing.

The Derry is still a truck that you aren't going to just climb up a mountainside in. You still need to consider your route carefully, you just packing a little more punch for hauling a load with.

last edited by justinlynch3

That truck is as implemented completely nonsense in its weight class. 25 tons, currently 192K torque and 8 wheels of each 200kg with standard traction numbers is a joke. With that setup you should lower the weight to 17-18t with the "new" engine.

Comparison: Kolob - 265K, 8 x 600 kg Wheels with standard traction numbers. There is no weaker truck from torque point of view in the heavy class as the Derry 45. The boar is by the way similar nonsense. As it has 10 medium wheels fpr 20 tons... no comment.

last edited by JTT

@jtt said in Derry Longhorn New Engine - Update With a Comparison Video:

The boar is by the way similar nonsense. As it has 10 medium wheels fpr 20 tons... no comment.

I have good news for you - they gave it Heavy wheels in 16.0. Performs much better now, but poor range is still an issue.

Good to know. "My Mod" did have the heavy as recommended set. Even the Superheavy are not that OP as they seem. 10 x 600 kg with standard friction numbers offroad arent that "op" with respect to a Kolob having 8x600 kg "Muds".

And has it has manual Diff and AWD with penalties - yes, it stays thirsty. But will make more miles per tank than with medium by better friction and spending less time in each frogpond.

last edited by JTT

Good to know. "My Mod" did have the heavy as recommended set. Even the Superheavy are not that OP as they seem. 10 x 600 kg with standard friction numbers offroad arent that "op" with respect to a Kolob having 8x600 kg "Muds".

And has it has manual Diff and AWD with penalties - yes, it stays thirsty. But will make more miles per tank than with medium by better friction and spending less time in each frogpond.

To me it's weird. Stat wise both OHD I and UOD II are rated a 1.9 in mud. I have heard before the OHD I should be the better of the two, but sometimes the UOD II feel like they just rip offroad.

Mud depth or mud softness might be coming into play here. In more soupy mud OHD might be better, but if your tires are able to just punch though and find some dirt to hook into, UOD might be better.

Personally at this point I kinda wish all trucks just had UOD or OHD optional. Especially since I never in my life seen a American truck run a UOD II tire in real life, but I have seen UOD II on Russian based trucks in the previous game, MudRunner (although note I don't actually live in Russia and don't get to see these trucks in real life). Plus in SnowRunner the Russian trucks are already well balanced, they don't need a heavy tire. Meanwhile a lot of the American trucks are tippy and could use a heavy weight tire.

It's like in SnowRunner that Sabre put Russian tires on the American trucks, and American tires on the Russian trucks.

But yea would be nice if all trucks had both sets so you could choose the tire you want.

Would be nice if scouts had new offroad tires to that looked like a decent pickup truck tire, as the offroad tires they have now should also really classify as a mud tire. While Jeep and Hummer good a good looking stock offroad tire, it sucks hard that for most scouts you need to downgrade all the All-Terrain if you want to find a tire that looks like a sensible pickup tire and not something that either A looks like a undersized tractor tire (Offroad) or B looks like a oversized ATV tire (Mud).

Simply consider UOD tires (medium weight = 100kg) way worse than OHD (heavy tires 200kg) and these way less than superheavy (600kg). I personally consider 100kg tires with 3.8 as grip (exzellent) as exactly the same to 200kg standard tires with grips of 1.9. I do not see any practical difference.

By the way, the "Tayga" Pattern with the TUZ16 or TUZ108 as medium 100 kg set is way inferior to the standard 200kg Tayga original. It looks the same, but it isnt. But as its wide - its good for stability.

Simply consider UOD tires (medium weight = 100kg) way worse than OHD (heavy tires 200kg) and these way less than superheavy (600kg). I personally consider 100kg tires with 3.8 as grip (exzellent) as exactly the same to 200kg standard tires with grips of 1.9. I do not see any practical difference.

By the way, the "Tayga" Pattern with the TUZ16 or TUZ108 as medium 100 kg set is way inferior to the standard 200kg Tayga original. It looks the same, but it isnt. But as its wide - its good for stability.

I don't see UOD as being "way worse", maybe "a tad worse" as they are lighter. But like I said I think each has their own situational advantages. Maybe it's just some trucks being better then others, but I've been surprised before where I'm able to get to on a set of UOD II's.

I really do think the type of terrain you are driving over plays a big factor.

I'm curious to try this hot new Derry engine πŸ˜ƒ

@justinlynch3 Dayum! You must be a beast in that thing, if the 6900 is a care-free drive πŸ₯‡
I've often found her a challenge to use, with big cargo on etc., but that's largely why I enjoy it.

last edited by A Former User

@timmy-gun said in Derry Longhorn New Engine - Update With a Comparison Video:

I'm curious to try this hot new Derry engine πŸ˜ƒ

@justinlynch3 Dayum! You must be a beast in that thing, if the 6900 is a care-free drive πŸ₯‡
I've often found her a challenge to use, with big cargo on etc., but that's largely why I enjoy it.

The only things that offered any real challenge with the 6900 was it used to be 2WD only, and it was tippy.

They added AWD which made it a beast that pretty much rarely to ever gets stuck anymore, and like I've said in the past I've taken to running my with the stock suspension and 55' duals (OHD I) which more or less takes care of the tipping.

In this setup the truck did lose some speed not being on the 63's anymore. But with AWD and it's raw engine power it still goes virtually anywhere, and with the lower center of gravity I have a lot more confidence in the vehicle. I even use this truck to haul oversized cargo though places like Zimnegorsk a lot now where I'd always use a trailer before. lol

It's not quite Tayga/605R levels of easy mode. But it is a beast of a truck.

@justinlynch3 Go on JP!

Yeah dropping to those 55s is a massive boost to stability, really solid. But the glamour of the 63s is something I cannot pass up, even if I do fall over every 30 seconds 😍

It warms my heart to hear you speaking with such praise about her anyway. Stunning vehicle. God bless America!
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ 🌠

last edited by A Former User

@timmy-gun said in Derry Longhorn New Engine - Update With a Comparison Video:

@justinlynch3 Go on JP!

Yeah dropping to those 55s is a massive boost to stability, really solid. But the glamour of the 63s is something I cannot pass up, even if I do fall over every 30 seconds 😍

It warms my heart to hear you speaking with such praise about her anyway. Stunning vehicle. God bless America!
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ 🌠

I never understood why it doesn't have a 63' duals option. Sure, one of the rear tires will be wider then the frame of the truck but it didn't stop Sabre putting duals on the Tayga, the Voron trucks, etc. I'm surprised the new 255 won't have duals, wish it did. Tayga tires will have to do I guess. I went and changed the current Tayga to Tayga tires just so she'll be consistent with the 255.

But yea I like the 6900, just because I prioritise stability I never meant to imply I didn't like the truck.

I've been thinking about buying a second one to put the 63's on (not like I can't afford it, I have 17 million in-game now lol), but I dunno, in my time playing the game I never found anywhere where you need to haul cargo over just flat bog. There is always hills, rocks, bumps, leans, something that's trying to tip you over in some way. So I never really bothered. lol