Technicals aren't scary. Anyone firing the gun can be easily picked off, and the .50 isn't a very effective weapon - without optics, you're reduced to blindfiring through walls and hoping you kill someone. They're not a massive problem to deal with, which is a shame, because they should be cool assets.

I would like them to be more of a presence on the battlefield. I suggest a couple of changes:

1. Make them more dangerous. If you're going to make yourself vulnerable by firing it, the technical's weapon should be scary. Give them a recoilless rifle (in-game equivalent to an RPG) instead of the .50. Now it's a real threat to defenders, and it has to be dealt with rather than ignored. Alternatively, just giving it magnified optics would help out.

2. Make them harder to kill. I suggest extending the gunner's shield to cover them completely from the front. Even a small target like their head is trivial to hit for anyone with an optic (which everyone has). There would still be plenty of ways to kill them (explosives, flanking, shot from above, punch through with a .50 round, etc), but you've got to really TRY! Secondary to this, the driver NEEDS a way to see behind them. Technicals attack by reversing into position so they can easily escape return fire. Without rear view this is really, really hard, and makes them even more killable.

I don't want technicals to rule the battlefield, but currently they're just . . . not a thing. They're cool but ultimately not useful assets, which is a shame. These changes would make them tactically relevant, and improve the game overall.