SnowRunner Hard Mode

"not for stealing trailers" - very funny, leave also the recovered cars on the map....

Money balance is a difficult topic, but such a solution would provide many more possibilities, options when planning and after completing all tasks. Maybe some trailers need to be removed in HM for better balance? But some tanks are interesting for route planning.

Sometimes it would be necessary to calculate whether the sale of the trailer is profitable (when the trailer store is far from the garage).

In my opinion, it would be good for gameplay.

Other topic about balance. Azov 64131 will be king of HM? One of best truck with large fuel tank, lot of addons and very economical.

There should be some Russian trucks like 114SD or 5070 that can have bed, crane and a trailer without a conflict. In HM crane will be much more important. The fuel tank and combustion are more critical. Maybe the fuel monster Azov 5319 could be so configured? Or poor 310Е?

last edited by Don_Mag

@Don_Mag
I think with cars everything is ok and we have some balance.

For Chevrolet CK1500 we need upgrades.
Scout 800 is like a spare car for emergencies + repair points and fuel in trailer.
GMC MH9500 - you can sell or you can keep it for any emergency.

Fleetstar - 5000$[recover]/2500$[repair]
Chevrolet Kodiak C70 - 5000$[recover]/2500$[repair] + you can lose some car there.
White Western Star - it is pain to get it. Even with P16 + 2500$[repair]
International Transtar - 2500$[recover]/1500[repair] difficult to reach
Pacific P16 - very difficult to reach on the start game stage.

Each car is like a new mission now. You take some risk and you get some car.
Only when you have P16 it become more easy to deliver any car from point A to point B.

Trailers in the game it is already some cheat. When you forgot something or doesn't want to go far or didn't find good or safe way how to reach some place.
Possibility to sell trailers for any price is double cheat.

I don't like trailers in HM but I understand:

• developers need to waste time to delete them
  • some players maybe need these trailers and like them
    For me each trailer is 30 or 50 XP what is very important for start game stage... so... I don't mind 🙂
last edited by ua_svs

You can do things like tow the 5000ltr fuel tanker from the first map to smithville dam and use the fuel until later on . Been playing on hardcore for a while now . Its going to take me a year to play it single player .

@ua_svs said in SnowRunner Hard Mode:

GMC MH9500

In my opinion after discover AWD (need only scout to discover - now it's more important than Tayga) is better that Fleetstar and Western Star... This is good truck with crane bad and small conflict trailer. And since cash is more important, I prefer to upgrade GMC than Fleetstar or Western Star. But now a bigger tank is most important maybe Western Star is better now.

What about DLC? Can we sell and have a lot of extra cash?

@THE_MASK said in SnowRunner Hard Mode:

Its going to take me a year to play it single player .

Yes, increasing the use of trailers would be helpful.

last edited by Don_Mag

I start my Hard Mode without using any trailers and have a Tuz 420 by rank 3 in Taymyr and a second Tuz 420, (recovered using the first one from Rift) by rank 4. I shipped the second Tuz to Michigan to do all recoveries with.

I start with Chevy, but do not get all-terrain tires to save money.
I don't repair the Fleetstar, but drag it into garage. I install the AWD upgrade on it to get extra cash for selling RWD. It is cheaper to upgrade all of Fleetstar's components over time and then just use 50 repair points to fix the fuel tank. But that will wait.

I then take my Chevy to get upgraded suspension for Chevy, GMC, and Fleetstar, all of which are very easily accessible. I discover the GMC so that I can upgrade the suspension on it and sell the stock one.

From GMC location I go through town (not the swamp) to get the Scout 800 and drive it straight from its location to Smithfield Damb garage to upgrade wheels to 35' all-terrain and get a roof rack. Then I drive the Scout to the gas station in Smithfield Damb and top it completely off. I then go back to Chevy which is where Scout was found and drive it down to the same gas station in Smithfield Damb. I use the Chevy to tow a fully fueled Scout to Smithfield garage for transfer.
I do not refuel the Chevy until I come back to Michigan with TUZ 420.

I upgrade suspension on Chevy, selling stock, and drive GMC to Black River Garage, where I upgrade its and Fleetstar's suspensions, selling the stock. I also dismount the sideboard bed from GMC to use it on Taiga.

Now I have about 10,500 in cash and ready to go to Drowned Lands. I drive the Scout to Taiga and here comes a tricky part. As soon as Taiga gets in range, it will start draining fuel, so I quickly activate the S.O.S task and immediately repair the Taiga's fuel tank. If you do it right you will have about 170 liters remaining in the Taiga.

I then use Scout's roof rack to fuel taiga another 120 L for a total of 290. I then use Scout's fuel of 40 L to top off Taiga to 330 L. My Scout is left with just about half a tank which is plenty for 2 more trips to Taiga from Garage. I repair Taiga 300 points, (630 needed) and make 2 more trips to complete the repairs. While in Garage I sell repair attachment and buy a new one for a $750 refill, times two. After a 3rd trip to Taiga, the Scout has 270 repair points left (save them) and it is almost out of fuel, but I use Taiga to tow it back to garage.

Here I upgrade the Taiga's tires to all-terrain singles and mount the free vibration module. The snorkel is also needed before going to Zimnegorsk, but it will wait, otherwise we will not have enough cash for fueling. I then drain any remaining fuel in Scout which I left outside the garage to top off Taiga, and head to South scan point.

On the way back you can do a recovery of the Loaf mission if you had to recover to garage for some reason to make back the lost cash. Otherwise I just leave it be.

After the South point I scan the North and go straight to the Gas Station. I'm usually here with 1/4 tank. Fuel up an head to the West scan point through the Farm and then south on the road to a dry spot across the marsh followed by some forest. With the scan contract completed our cash is about 12,000.

I head back to the gas station, refuel and go to garage. Here I mount the sideboard bed and a $2300 snorkel.
I deliver a container to the antena, come back and take 2 service spare parts there as well. Then I go to warehouse and get the steel beams. If fuel is low at this point, I swing by gas station and refuel before delivering the steel to antena. Now we get another $6600, rank 3 and access to Zimnegorsk.

I drive straight there, refuling at Quarry gas station on the way. In Zimnegorsk, I cross the river (snorkel is a must) and then go right directly to TUZ420 location instead of following a muddy road.

Once discovered, I fuel Tuz from Taiga, but leave 50 L in Taiga. (It will needed to use engine power of Taiga to get Tuz through the swamp on the way back). I then use Tuz to grab a Taiga's raised suspension upgrade at the Oil Site and head back to Taiga and tow it to Garage in Drowned Lands using Tuz.

I go through swamp instead of the river to prevent engine damage to Tuz. Here Taiga uses engine to help. Just prior to exiting Zimnegorsk, I use Tuz to grab an upgraded Taiga engine just to the right of the map exit.

I tow Taiga to Garage, refueling both vehicles at Drownlands gas station. I then upgrade Taiga's engine and suspension to get extra cash.

Then I install roofrack on Tuz and use it to tow the empty Scout to Rift, fueling both vehicles and their roof racks at Quarry gas station. The Scout should have 270 repair points remaining in it after we finished SOS task.

Upon entering Rift, I leave Scout at entrance and go recover the second Tuz. I tow it to the entrance to be repaired, however you must repair the suspension before you do that, otherwise it will drag the bottom on the ground and take more damage (damage you will not have enough repair points to fix)

Once at the entrance , I use Tuz and Scout to fully repair the second Tuz and I use all of fuel from both roof racks and Scout to refuel it. There's a gas station in Rift, but it is the most expensive fuel in the game (8/L) You don't need to buy it, and as I said early I do not use scout fuel trailers parked there. I delete all trailers I come across. You might need fuel from the first Tuz to complete the task. Now we're rank 4.

I exit all 3 vehicles from Rift and completely refuel the first Tuz and its roof rack from the other 2 vehicles. I leave the first Tuz here for later and use remaining fuel in second Tuz to tow the Scout to the gas station. I take only the fuel I need to make it to Garage (about 120L) because fuel is 3 tines more expensive here than in Michigan, and the second Tuz will be going there to be refueled.

In the Garage, I transfer Tuz to Smithfield Damb Garage, but do not buy the roof rack for it yet. Otherwise you will have no money to fuel it. The roof rack can be bought after a couple of recovery tasks. The reason I use Smithfield garage is because Tuz is almost out of fuel, and there is a partially fueled Chevy here which can share enough fuel to get to the gas station which is much closer than the one in Black River.

I usually start with Whitestar and get it upgraded before going back to BlackRiver to start missions there.
Do not sell the second Tuz as it only sells for 74,000 and there's not many worthy trucks that you can buy for the money. You can sell it later, after you complete all recovery missions in Taymyr.

last edited by Tiverton

@ua_svs I’ve played the campaign over 4 times and have over 650h of game time. I believe to know the maps. However there is a line between satisfaction of difficulty and slow, dull, harrowing progress. That’s why I want Your opinions coming from life experience on PTS. Thanks for that!

@Fratzegeballer interesting choice for YAR. I wanted to try cheap, entry Russian scouts. But maybe YAR is more reasonable approach. Thanks for all the data and input. Much appreciated.

@gnato666
The YAR was of course not the cheapest decision, but in its basic configuration it gets through the terrain well there. It has 300 repair points and 120 liters of fuel with it. The DON also has 300 repair points, but hardly any fuel, but most of all it needs the upgrades first, otherwise it will have a hard time in Russia.

@Fratzegeballer that’s reasonable. I hoped that lower funds will push me towards less used trucks. It will in case of GMC and Kodiak. I have to see the case with Loaf and small Tuz. Don is too weak.

@gnato666 said in SnowRunner Hard Mode:

It will in case of GMC and Kodiak.

I played the GMC and Kodiak in HardMode in Amur. The Kodiak was awful, but maybe only because I drove it with the 1,800 liter tank addon. That's too much for him there, he barely made any headway and when he did, he shivered like a centenarian while driving.
The GMC with AWD did well in Amur. With him and the maintenance addon I unlocked the ZiKZ and otherwise he saved me a bunch of units there with a crane and sideboard bed. Since the ZiKZ has no snow chains, they have always complemented each other. If the ZiKZ didn't get up the icy road, the GMC could pull it, if the GMC got stuck, the ZiKZ could free it. That was always a very nice change between the two trucks. Apart from a few tasks / contracts, I did everything with the ZiKZ and the GMC in Amur. Only in Chernokamensk did I get the Tayga so that I still have another truck with a crane to load the ZiKZ.

@gnato666
For me with HM the game is finally finished and ready to play. Before it was very boring for me and the game looked like some type of demo.

I can't say HardMode is hard. It is just normal gameplay what I was waiting for..

A lot of people for sure would love this

last edited by ua_svs

@Tiverton said in SnowRunner Hard Mode:

I sell repair attachment and buy a new one for a $750 refill, times two.

here we stop reading

@Don_Mag said in SnowRunner Hard Mode:

What about DLC? Can we sell and have a lot of extra cash?

fortunately NO!

@gnato666
For me with HM the game is finally finished and ready to play. Before it was very boring for me and the game looked like some type of demo.

I can't say HardMode is hard. It is just normal gameplay what I was waiting for..

totally agree!

im tired of maintaining my huge excel with all these fuel/repar/etc costs...
my new HM excel will include only...vehicle mileage stats, its a demo if you play campaign game without this main statistic...its like playing ja2 or xcom without enemy kills stats for mercs.

last edited by Stazco

A medium log trailer needs to be available on the Black River map to balance it up a bit . They are quite expensive .

@THE_MASK
In Michigan you earn 60.600 units with logging.
For truck addons (1x trailer for medium & long logs + frame addon) you must invest 34.200 Units.
If you have no crane from other logging mission it varies up to 42.100 Units.
If you now need more than 18.500 Units for fuel (~9.000L)... skip this missions.

@gnato666

Yep, same here. I’ve quit playing completely until hard mode, because for me, hard mode is where the real game experience lies. It doesn’t make sense to play on anything else.

Here's my guide on how to start a new Hard Mode game with Zikz 605R as a starting vehicle . No mods, or cheats.
Youtube Video

@Fratzegeballer said in SnowRunner Hard Mode:

@THE_MASK
In Michigan you earn 60.600 units with logging.
For truck addons (1x trailer for medium & long logs + frame addon) you must invest 34.200 Units.
If you have no crane from other logging mission it varies up to 42.100 Units.
If you now need more than 18.500 Units for fuel (~9.000L)... skip this missions.

well, first of all its bad that can teleport addons for free, ok, i will keep them installed not to use this cheat

second - thx for the $ balance...it is really not profitable...just for fun, when we finished all tasks and managed to have some margin...not so encouraging for many players, who is not so hardcore oriented as me and you)

so to next region (in the same continent, not from russia to north america for sure) it is a must to transfer vehicle with log crane and addon.

Price for p12 with crane and long logs addon?
or other starting chassis, able to have crane and long logs

Thx in advance for help!)

last edited by Stazco