3D modeling topology.

So I made the chassis twist! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Captura.JPG

-INTERNATIONAL WORKSTAR 7000 Series SBA-
I've been Working on this truck for the past 2 1/2 months and thanks to you guys I'm finally completeing the first stage of it. I know I've been kind of a pain sometimes and I hope you can understand why. In the proccess of creating this truck, I've learned a lot, mainly, that modding doesn't leave me any free time ๐Ÿ™‚

I've made a quick video doing some final testing which I'm gonna link down here in case you guys are interested.
Youtube Video

The truck contains (mainly):
-Fully animated rear suspension with control arms, walking beams, rubber springs and hoses.
-Animated front leaf springs (not the steering control bar).
-Swinging Cabin.
-Twisting frame.
-Shaking exhaust.
-Animated mudflaps.
-Correctly positioned lighting system.
-Correctly positioned driveshaft, smoke, steam and intake particle system.
-Accurate fuel capacity.
-All textures, normal maps and specular maps created from scratch.

Taken from the basegame (For testing and learning purposes)
-Sounds.
-Wheels.
-All addons.
-Logs

Known Bugs
There is a wire in the air tanks that moves wrongly.

Road Map (Short therm)
-Create an addon for it
-Create my own wheels
-Revisit all textures (Specially the chassis)
-Model a few more details in the chassis
-Model the wipers
-Create Cabin roof and back lines using either more geometry or normal maps.

Road Map (Long therm)
-Create a set of addons that allows the truck being independent from any other basegame addon. Which will include its own:
-Fuel Cistern.
-Dump Bed.
-Short Logs Bed.
-Medium Logs Cart
-Long Logs Cart.
-Utility addon.
-A few trailers.
-Animated steering wheel.
-Cockpit windshield
-A Crane.

What is not on my plans
-Detailed interior. (I strongly think that this game is better played in 3rd person view)
-Mechanisms such as lifting dumpbeds or opening doors. (Not doing anything that is not functional for the game mechanics)

Thank you so much @Forces @Mexican_420 @JustaFordGuy @wrangmog for the aid you have provided so far!

I'm gonna leave you guys with a little teaser of a second "lunch time" project I started a few days back:
Captura2.JPG

last edited by deathcoreboy1

Seriously man, great job. I still don't know how to model a cab properly lol so that's why there where no updates on the mog.

Awesome work man congratulations for your first of many more mods to come looking forward to see what's next
Sorry for the lack of communication and let me put some blend files in the 101 for steering animations and extra eye candy animations

@wrangmog thank you man! I don't know why but I feel more natural to start from the Cab. I'm no expert for sure, but if you need any help, feel free to post your questions or pm me.

@Forces I also think there are some post here that might help some one in the future. I was wondering, how much will all this knowledge apply to MudRunner 2 when it comes out ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ Anyways. Thanks a lot for your words ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@deathcoreboy1 said in 3D modeling topology.:

@wrangmog thank you man! I don't know why but I feel more natural to start from the Cab. I'm no expert for sure, but if you need any help, feel free to post your questions or pm me.

@Forces I also think there are some post here that might help some one in the future. I was wondering, how much will all this knowledge apply to MudRunner 2 when it comes out ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ Anyways. Thanks a lot for your words ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

My bet is that none of this will apply to MR2, as it will likely be running on a different engine. Matters none to me though, as I have ZERO intention to buy MR2. First Spintires falls by the wayside, and up pops Mudrunner, so we're all like "yay! Since ST appears to be dead, long live MR, rightful heir to the offroad throne! Waitaminnit, it's virtually identical to ST, wtf?" Now Spintires is back in development, and instead of continuing to support and improve MR, they decide to announce a whole new cash-grab game (which, for any reasonably experienced gamer, is a not-so-subtle death sentence for the existing game). So yeah, you could say I feel a little bit jaded by the whole scenario...

@Mexican_420 Wow! I see. Although I'm not that skeptical as of now. I guess I have to see before judging. If they bring something that I consider worth creating a new game, then I'm in. If not, I'll stick to what we have.

Been working on my first addon.

2019-08-14 Dump Bed texturing.JPG

By The way, hand painting the textures are a real pain.

I did not find any suitable blueprint for this so I made it up looking at reference pictures. I'd love to hear (read) you feedback.

Wow that turned out great, nice detail.

@deathcoreboy1 Looks really good, why dont you use cycles to texture? ussing the AO map both good way and backwards to create the edges damage of metal, and mix them via node editor, i sued to make textures like that, yes hand painting gives some really good results but it takes also a good amount of time

@Mexican_420 i would give mr2 try if it runs on dx11 or better, that way no 2gb limit no 18k poly limit

@wrangmog yeah we all have our preference i also start from the cab and hen the frame and suspension

@Forces ajรกaaa!!! never crossed my mind using an inverted AO to simulate metal damage. I'll give it a try and see how it comes out. Thanks for the heads up.

but... wait. You mean inverted, like, inverting the color or inverting the selection itself in photoshop?

I'm texturing on Eevee which uses the same node editor cycles uses, but I can watch the real time results and also seems to me a bit closer to what the Game Editor would look like. As of now I'v found that using the Principled node is the way to go to get the aproximate result the game would display. Then if I want a photorealistic path traced render, I just switch to Cycles and boom!

its a method ive used allot in the past, my first willis paint was made like this and some other textures (ao, inverted ao, rust ao map and scratches ao map) all mixed with a color node and the mixed with materials in cycles

Youtube Video

@Forces @deathcoreboy1
I gotta start learning Blender, it looks like it can do a lot more than I would have initially thought!

@Forces Awesome! I'm definitely going to give it a try.

2019-08-18 Volquete en el juego.jpg
2019-08-18 Volquete en el juego2.jpg

Well I'm not happy with the textures so I'm going to make them all over again.

I'm impressed for the good quality you can get from the cycles engine with such low effort.
2019-08-17 Full Render editado.jpg

Yup and even more if you already have the textures for it to load from

Awesome blurry background, i want to learn how to do that for scene rendering rather than studio rendering like i do

@Forces You just have to set a world background. In my case, I added a 3D picture. This will also help the reflections to look realistic since they will reflect the world instead of the virtual studio & lights. Then, for the "blurry background" watch some "Depth of the field" tutorials. It's a property you can adjust in the camera settings. I used to virtually simulate this with photoshop when I was doing photography but Blender can simulate it really well using this feature.

yeah i use hdri images too, but never look as good as those

Not a lot of activity around here since the amazing SR news!

After playing around with the textures a lot, I have found one that I kind of like. It has this old CAT style look that I love, but I don't know if it suits the truck well.
I'd love to hear your feedback.

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

Youtube Video

Now, this one I made it in a third party software, which means that I did not hand paint it, but considering how much I hate texturing, I'll take it.

Looks really good man, and it blend nicely with the game, I like it, what will be carried in the dumper?

I think the whole truck looks great, I'd drive it.๐Ÿ˜„