Common modified files

@roughrider not yet, even though this is another one i have done myself as well. you are right. it has not been mentioned.

@gabe said in Common modified files:

@8up-local said in Common modified files:

just curious and checking to see what files people usually mod and/or mod the most. this could be files you have downloaded to use or your own modified files. i keep mine fairly basic so there is less to replace if i ever have to verify my game. i do know there are some out there though that really get into modifying their files to the point it is almost a different game (figuratively speaking).

the basics of mine,
film grain removed
winch line changed
winch points changed
border removed
fuel cistern and tanker recolored
fire proof exhaust recolored
tattoo shifter
key/controller overlays removed (although yet to figure out how to get rid of the overlay box for it)
mudrunner mod (STplus as most call it)
steam icons removed
and i know there is a few others, but can not remember what or they are little things that are not that important.

when you say "steam icons removed" do you mean the name that hovers above the vehicle of the people you are playing the game with? if so, how do you do that?

oops, my bad. i just realized what you had said here. no i have not looked into getting rid of the names above the players myself, this is the icon in the top right corner. the names above players is just something that will need looked into.

last edited by A Former User

ok good deal. i thought i had lost my mind or was just bad at following directions lol

another file i have found some might like. getting rid of the fuel sloshing/thunking sound when in advanced menu. media zip/sounds/env folder, delete the "limited_fluid wav" file.

just a little thing but it has always bugged me and a few others i know will enjoy this as well.

well until they fix it or if they fix it. here the quick fix for the stars on the trucks.

texturecache.zip: look for the gui_star__d_a.dds file. erase the image of the star (not delete, i use paint.net) and then save the image back into the zip.

warning: this will remove the balance stars on the map list. it does not affect the game, you just can not see them. makes for knowing the balance level fun to figure out, but for me i can live with that.

@8up-local said in Common modified files:

well until they fix it or if they fix it. here the quick fix for the stars on the trucks.

texturecache.zip: look for the gui_star__d_a.dds file. erase the image of the star (not delete, i use paint.net) and then save the image back into the zip.

warning: this will remove the balance stars on the map list. it does not affect the game, you just can not see them. makes for knowing the balance level fun to figure out, but for me i can live with that.

thanks dude great work

another one i had forgotten to post about, the intro vid and music.

you can just delete these files if you want to get rid of them.

intro vid: delete the intro.bik file from the Mudrunner folder. thank you to lawndart for reminding me about this.

intro music: delete the media.zip/sounds/game intro_stereo__1.wav file, there is also a 2 and 3 music file to remove also.

@8up-local
When you erase the contents of the filmgrain DDS, what format do you re-save it as?

@mexican_420 it is saved as a dds file. i open the zip file directly into paint.net (double click the image in the zip, i have it set up so image file open with the paint program). i erased the file with erase tool and then close the image which saves it directly back into the zip. easy peasy.

i do remind people though to make a back up copy of the original zips to a back up folder and make copies of you edited folder/files also so if and when you need to replace the files back, like with this last update, replacing my modded files is a quick copy/paste.

@8up-local
Guess I'm reinstalling Paint.net as it apparently retains the file's format. Tried dxt1,3,5 with Photoshop and Nvidia DDS plugin to no avail... Each time it thoroughly buggered my menus and everything...
Thanks. 🙂

last edited by Mexican_420

also i guess i could add that i do mod/edit my XML files a little with the Ural. nothing drastic, but they do make a difference. mostly just steering related. i added more steering speed, both ways (steering and back steer) and is only .01 difference in change. gave it a bit more steering angle, was 40 now 45. other little things would be like a quicker start and exhaust times. couple little things here and there, but not worth mentioning imo.
i have not added any extra power or more grip to the tires or anything. i just wanted a little more out of what comes stock already.

anyone else edit the stock vehicles as well, either slightly or a lot? which btw i only use this set up when using the stock Urals for trail rides.

@8up-local I used to have a uaz with ural tires on the old spintires, but that was before I created my own mods. It was more to see what does what in the xml file.

having the Runner section in orange was bugging me, so i changed it to suit my taste. olive green looks much better imo.
alt text

with the old version (spintires) a few people had custom menu backdrops in this screen. i have also had a few people ask me about this too. i am curious now. can custom menu backdrops be made the same way it was in spintires?
@Nix_909 @RoughRider i am throwing this question towards you fellas since i know you both had done this. i am just looking for info about it and if it can be done for mudrunner also. which i figure it can, just no one has mess with or done it yet that i know of for mudrunner.

@8up-local Honestly, I havent tried it yet, but from what I see, the game is probably hardcoded to pull from the standard few maps. You'd have to ask @Pavel on this one.

@roughrider quite likely, i have been digging through the game files and have not found anything yet.

@8up-local There isn't an stg for the menu, but that doesn't mean that it wont work. It might still overwrite if level_menu.stg is in the media. Never know, might work

@mexican_420 I haven't tried it the way @8up-local suggests. But what I have done with paint dot net that also works is to save the texture .dds file as DXT1 or DXT3. Not sure what else works. But either of those seems to work fine. I had a problem like the one you had while trying to use Gimp with the DDS plugin for it.

@roughrider might have to give it a try sometime next day or two. whether it will work idk, but we shall see. lol

@MudHappy
I did get it working, thought I posted about it but must've been a purely mental post... lol
Turns out that saving the file as a standard dxt5 works, it was an issue with the way Windows' integrated zip handling setup was adding it back into the archive. Tried dxt5 with WinRAR instead, worked flawlessly first try.

@mexican_420 yeah if you open the files directly from a zip they can give issues sometimes when saving back into the zip. i always open files from an unzipped folder i keep in my work folders which are separate (i keep mine in my downloaded mods folder). then i just edited the file in these working folders, makes for easy copy and paste it into the game zip imo. plus if you need the original copy back it is right there in the working zips