Hello there, I've been trying to see all the subfactions and their uniqueness for almost all races. While some factions have many (like Chaos), other factions merely have different colored sub factions without even a unique one to show a slight difference with the others.
I can understand balance is very important for this game. And that balancing 12 factions and all their subfactions is a monumental task. I just wanted to throw a few ideas that go with the lore of the subfactions that seem to be no different than any of the more "vanilla" subfactions.
IMPERIAL NAVY: This faction seems to be rather standard among its subfactions. The only difference between them is the area of space they hail from and maybe the types of enemies they fought. I don't see that much uniqueness between the subfactions to warrant such an upgrade.
ADEPTUS ASTARTES: This faction, unlike the Imperial Navy does have subfactions that are completely different if not directly opposed to their core philosophy and approach to combat, pretty much like their chaos counterparts. Here are a few ideas for unique upgrades:
- Blood Angels: Death company. Maybe their boarding actions deal more troop damage?
- Imperial Fists: Known to reinforce everything. They seem to like to apply that to their ships. Maybe extra hull or armor for ships?
- Raven Guard: These guys like stealthy tactics, perhaps they could start stealthed, or have the ability to apply silent running to some ships that shouldnt?
- Salamanders: Fire! Lots of Fire! Boarding Actions could cause fire criticals like the "Shards of Nyadra'zatha" from the necrons. Improved Melta Torpedoes?
- White Scars: Speed! Here is a little quote from one of the novels.
"I heard from a contact on Mars, Jaghatai, that you do strange things to your ships."
The Khan shot him a heavy-lidded stare. "I heard that you do strange things to your warriors."
-Jaghatai giving Fulgrim a burn of a 1,000 suns-
ADEPTUS MECHANICUS: The closest faction to the Imperial Navy, lore wise they load in their ships the best of their technology. Most Forge Worlds are similar, but some are rarities that make them stand aside from the most vanilla ones and it is likely their ships show it.
- Ryza: Masters of Plasma. Be it weapons or reactors. Maybe an improved plasma bomb or enhanced Plasma drives that allow for faster ships or maneuverability?
- Stygies VIII: Known for being shady. They always deploy their troops "beneath stealth screen projectors and target-befouling apparatus". They also love xenotech research, in particular that of the aeldari.
NECRONS: Most Necron Dynasties are no different than one another at least when it comes to troops and the like. With one exception.
- Thokt: Known for being infused with the radiation found in the region of space their Tomb Worlds are located. I think they should have some kind of damage shield around their ships they can deploy for a short time. Maybe deal shield damage then troop damage as people are afflicted by radiation rather than have it damage the hull?
Also it would be awesome if the Necron beams could match the color of their ship lights.
As for the rest of the factions I have to say I don't know them that well as to make suggestions. If any player knows more or has any idea don't be afraid to post.