Gunship kills through buildings
This post is deleted!

@sgt-kanyo fucking idiot, there is a difference between something being unfair and something being difficult.

@sgt-kanyo said in Gunship kills through buildings:

All people need in this game is use tactics and the Apache can be shot down.

I know that this is a team-based game, but in a pub match you really shouldn't expect your team to fully cooperate with anything you say. Plus, the Apache isn't an objective. Getting 6-8 guys to help take down the Apache is 6-8 guys that aren't trying to take or defend the objectives.

@zayzek said in Gunship kills through buildings:

@sgt-kanyo fucking idiot, there is a difference between something being unfair and something being difficult.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old games like RtCW or Half-Life? Difficult, but tons of fun.

An Apache that slaughters the entire enemy team in ten seconds? Not fun. At all.

Just because the Apache can shoot you through the building doesn't mean it should all the time.
It's obviously operated by human beings who even though have the FLIR they still won't see your every single move. The devs just need to tweak, when it can see you.

Also I don't know if you guys remember a very much loved game called CoD MW2. Guess what the Helicopter killstreak or the AC-130 killstreak did to players. It obliterated them.
The Apache in this game can be called once and it circles around the map usually pointlessly for 5 seconds and then; "oh shit my dinner's getting cold, better go home then, bye"; it disappears.
I think if the Apache did not have x-ray vision but did have realistic weapons, it'd be a very nice addition, since it'd force your team to stay in the buildings and wait it out.
This is not even tactics by any means, this is just common sense. Tactics would be the whole team concentrating on eliminating a dangerous threat as soon as possible while others provide cover fire.
How is this not fun?

I think if the Apache did not have x-ray vision but did have realistic weapons, it'd be a very nice addition, since it'd force your team to stay in the buildings and wait it out.

Yes, usually I do stay in a building and try to wait it out. My problem is that doesn't always work. Sometimes it does, but sometimes I'm killed through a wall in a room with no exterior windows or doors. Is this a bug? Game play mechanic? Right now I have no idea, and that's a problem.

@zayzek said in Gunship kills through buildings:

Whoa. I agree with your point but there's no need to be insulting. Settle down.

Well there you go. Once the x-ray vision bug is solved, you should be able to hide from the helicopters.
I think if the Apache did see you moving into a building it might start shooting randomly around you, that way the player doesn't feel that the bots see you through walls.
But this bug can be said for the technicals as well. Lot of times I've hiding behind a wall, when I suddenly got instakilled through the wall. That's annoying and unrealistic I agree.

I'd say being on the top floor of a building should probably leave you somewhat exposed to 30mm, but being on the lower level of a multi-story building seems a bit much...

What would be cool would be building destruction mechanics maybe? hmm? … prolly not, but I can dream!

Hey if you want realism , what about the buildings get destroyed by explosions?
I mean if you get killed by a 30 mm machine gun inside a building you should make the same building vulnerable to rockets and mortars and make it colapse in your head. But that is not happening, so what should we do? .

@fraguc said in Gunship kills through buildings:

But that is not happening

Wish it did tbh

@fraguc said in Gunship kills through buildings:

Hey if you want realism , what about the buildings get destroyed by explosions?
I mean if you get killed by a 30 mm machine gun inside a building you should make the same building vulnerable to rockets and mortars and make it colapse in your head. But that is not happening, so what should we do? .

Exactly. Great point!
Many times have I shot an RPG near the bots and they just laughed back at my face. Anyone behind the wall or near it should die. Let's not forget that blastwave kills. Hell irl if you shoot most of the RPGs indoors you'd die, because your internal organs can't handle the pressure, so obviously it's not medicaly advised to stay near the warhead when it explodes near you.

I think a lot of games fail at that exact thing. Sacrificing realism for an easier gameplay.

Easier gameplay is not better gameplay. Changing gunships so they get fewer free kills would make gameplay more difficult for the team calling in fire support. Dying at random regardless of cover isn't just a matter of difficulty. It's fundamentally unfair no matter how good you get at the game.

The devs just need to tweak, when it can see you.

This is really the solution.

The only time my team ever gets significant kills with assassin is in coop matches, in pvp ppl just hide when they hear it and it gets maybe one kill, its hardly overpowered. A well-placed artillery barrage does loads more damage.

The gunship's intention seems to be to allow the security team to lock down the map and force insurgents inside buildings and under cover, opening angles of attack for the security forces or breaking the momentum of counterattacks. The gunship isn't necessarily free skill-less kills, it has a purpose and you can only use it once (I find cleric to be much less effective so I won't really talk about that). The commander has to weigh when to call it in or else it'll be a waste that gets no kills.

Being inside a relatively heavy building should, imo, offer relative protection from the gunship if you aren't near the top floor or windows, though (if building destruction became a thing, then even bottom floors should be safe given the timeframe the gunship has is short).