Stuttering after today's patch.

Everybody who has an Intel CPU with hyperthreading !!!

This fix might work for you : https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/29538/turn-your-hyperthreading-off

Give it a try, it could change your Sandstorm stutter problem.

Not seeing any real improvement...stuttering/freezes are still there and too often. Yes, Crossing and Summit are the worst maps performance-wise.

same here

GTX 1060
8GB DDR3

@mamba

It didn´t work for you because you have an AMD CPU

I think this fix really will help people with Intel CPU´s with 4 or more cores.

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

Yeah, still get frequent stutters and frame drops in excess of 30.

ASUS GTX 970
i5-8400
12GB DDR4 @2400MHz
MSI Z370-A Pro

I have had stuttering problems since I joined the beta. Before, they were very annoying and made PvP pretty much unbearable, but I was able to have a lot of fun playing tens of hours of co-op. But now, after the latest patch, the entire game is pretty much unplayable (I die constantly due to stuttering that sometimes lasts a full second or so - maybe freezes would be a better term). Making matters worse, it seems to happen when enemies/teammates spawn or come into view, when I ADS (especially with magnified optics), or when I am sprinting quickly across the map. Graphics settings don't seem to make any difference, and when it's not stuttering/freezing up the framerate is actually quite smooth for me even maxed out at 1080p. Interestingly, moving the game from my HDD to SSD seemed to decrease the length of the freezes, but not their prevalence.

-ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo
-i5 3570k (4 cores @ 3.4Ghz)
-msi GTX 970 using driver version 399.07
-8GB RAM
-Win10 x64

Do you think it could be related to the fact the GTX 970 has a weird VRAM setup where 3GB are full speed and the remaining 0.5GB runs slower via some workaround by nvidia? I never did get my money from the class action settlement...

@maj-liability said in Stuttering after today's patch.:

I have had stuttering problems since I joined the beta. Before, they were very annoying and made PvP pretty much unbearable, but I was able to have a lot of fun playing tens of hours of co-op. But now, after the latest patch, the entire game is pretty much unplayable (I die constantly due to stuttering that sometimes lasts a full second or so - maybe freezes would be a better term). Making matters worse, it seems to happen when enemies/teammates spawn or come into view, when I ADS (especially with magnified optics), or when I am sprinting quickly across the map. Graphics settings don't seem to make any difference, and when it's not stuttering/freezing up the framerate is actually quite smooth for me even maxed out at 1080p. Interestingly, moving the game from my HDD to SSD seemed to decrease the length of the freezes, but not their prevalence.

-ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo
-i5 3570k (4 cores @ 3.4Ghz)
-msi GTX 970 using driver version 399.07
-8GB RAM
-Win10 x64

Do you think it could be related to the fact the GTX 970 has a weird VRAM setup where 3GB are full speed and the remaining 0.5GB runs slower via some workaround by nvidia? I never did get my money from the class action settlement...

I think your Intel i5 CPU + GTX 970 are pretty much able to handle Sandstorm very smooth and with high FPS.
It´s probably a problem of the right setting.

I assume that you disabled the Hyperthreading in your BIOS ---> CPU Options ( disable Intel HT Technology )
After that please try following video settings :

Display Mode - Fullscreen

Anti-Aliasing - FXAA

Texture quality & Post Processing Quality - medium
The rest of the quality settings - low

Advanced options :
Frame rate smoothing - unchecked
ragdoll count - high
Anisotrophic Filtering - 4x

Texture streaming pool size - 400 MB
Dynamic Shadow Resolution - 512x512
Cascaded Shadow map resolution - 512x512

After that do the recommended Fix for Picture quality : https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/28335/antialiasing-setting-is-broken-ini-fix-in-original-post-as-well-as-supersampling/49

I hope this helps you with the stutter and freezes
Each computerhardware setup has its own problems but with these settings i have very nice picture quality and decent FPS without any stutter.
I am using Windows 7 Professional but this should work in Windows 10 too.

Important !!! : I remember to have read that Windows 10 has some memory problems which could lead to stutter, so may be you get some fix here : https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/empty-standby-memory-fix-game-stuttering-windows-10/

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

@gsg_9_lightning Thanks. I tried using all the lowest settings like you said - and it worked. Then I moved up to the medium presets - and it worked. The problem reappeared on High settings, though still not as bad as it had been. It didn't occur to me to try this, because I had already tried low presets before the patch and they didn't help back then. Oddly, it seems this patch made my problem worse on high settings, but fixed it entirely on lower settings.

In any case, I hope they find a way to improve this, because I really don't want to end up playing the final release on medium settings as they look pretty gnarly and as you said my system should be able to handle more.

I should also mention I don't use AA at all because I don't like the type of AA you find in Unreal Engines.

Also, my CPU has no hyperthreading.