The biggest disappointment in this game is....

I played Spintires Mudrunner on XBOX ONE for 2 days by now. It is a very nice game, driving with my Fanatec Wheel is OK.
But the biggest disappointment is;

THE MAPS ARE WAY TO SMALL !!!

On my XBOX ONE Box is written: explore an enormous 'open world' ????????

Sorry I didn't find it. What I did find is a map with the size of a big garden called 'The Bog'.... It that it???

last edited by rhs

Well, there are 6 maps like that one in the game. I think that's it.

@gus-skywatcher said in The biggest disappointment in this game is....:

Well, there are 6 maps like that one in the game. I think that's it.

The Bog (with the size of a big garden) seems the biggest of them all. The other maps all have the size of ultra small gardens 🙂
and they only have a purpose of doing some tests with different vehicles in specific areas.

The 'Bog' seems to be the so called 'open world' we seem to be able to 'explore'... but there is non to explore, really;
about 1 square km - that's it....

In short: non of them are maps that deserve the title of 'open world'...

@rhs
How many maps have you made?

@mexican_420 said in The biggest disappointment in this game is....:

@rhs
How many maps have you made?

? Remarkeable question... Why should I bother making maps for this title (I'm on console btw); For all I know, I didn't came up with the idea of making this game...

The point here is: If you think of creating a driving game (like Saber did), you also need to create enough space to drive, especially when you use a word as 'explore'.

So mexican-420, please don't come to me playing the wise guy...

Not a "wise guy" just educated. Saber didn't create the game, Pavel did. Also it's a "terrain simulator" as much as it's a driving game (logging involves driving, and that's more the focus of the game vs just driving around). Do some research...
I've made maps, and creating an immersive environment even as "small" as 1 sq km is no easy task... This isn't GTA and the dev team is tiny compared to some, so give them some credit for accomplishing what they have, and doing what no other game in recent years has done.
I don't have the time or the patience for any flaming either, and I'm not being a troll. Just tired of the haters bashing things they don't know nearly enough about...
I will concede that you're entitled to an opinion just like everybody else, and I'm by no means trying to play keyboard warrior or armchair developer, just voicing my own opinion.

last edited by Mexican_420

@mexican_420 said in The biggest disappointment in this game is....:

Not a "wise guy" just educated. Saber didn't create the game, Pavel did. Also it's a "terrain simulator" as much as it's a driving game (logging involves driving, and that's more the focus of the game vs just driving around). Do some research...
I've made maps, and creating an immersive environment even as "small" as 1 sq km is no easy task... This isn't GTA and the dev team is tiny compared to some, so give them some credit for accomplishing what they have, and doing what no other game in recent years has done.
I don't have the time or the patience for any flaming either, and I'm not being a troll. Just tired of the haters bashing things they don't know nearly enough about...
I will concede that you're entitled to an opinion just like everybody else, and I'm by no means trying to play keyboard warrior or armchair developer, just voicing my own opinion.

Mexican+420, I'm not a hater trying to bash the game! I just think the game makers (tiny company or not) are not delivering properly when I compare and read the text on the backside of the game package, I will translate for you the part that's saying open worlds (from Dutch to English);

'Spintires Mudrunner is the ultimate edition of millionseller Spintires. Drive powerful ATV's en drive through enormous open worlds.'

Sorry, that's not exactly what I find back in this game; powerful ATV's yes, but ENORMOUS OPEN WORLDS? Notice the plural in WORLDS? There is not even one enormous open world in this game!

Aside: About you have made maps, that's great!; But I'm a 60 year old, self employed professional graphic designer/illustrator (retired) with 38 years of experience in the field and from these 38 years I spend 22 years working as a 3d modeller/texture and lighting artist, so you could say I know a fair bit of what this kind of work takes, so be carefull who you try to lecture...

But all been said is not the point here; if you promise something (in this case: enormous open worlds), you deliver. Period. You can't use nice marketing words just to make things up to make your product look better; sooner or later customers will react. And unfortunately I'm that kind of customer if you will like it or not.

No hard feelings; enjoy the game!

last edited by rhs

@rhs
22 years? Wow 🙂
My apologies for jumping to conclusions. Have you considered getting into modding with Mudrunner? I'm sure it would be easy enough for a chap with your background to pick up.

@rhs
I get your point, but unfortunately the maps can not made bigger for now.
I don't know the exact reason, but i think it comes from the 32-Bit Version and/or the game engine can not handle bigger maps.

Maybe i am wrong, so don't take my comment serious.
(Sorry for my english)

advice buy a pc and join us on the modding side 🙂

@shuffy that is easier said than done for some people, but if possible. yes, come to our side. lol

consoles are fun and i spent many decades with them, but for me fully switching to PC a few years ago was the best move i made.

last edited by A Former User

been console most of my life till i made the switch about 10 years ago never looked back never will

I still do both...
Xbox One because I couldn't handle the financial black hole that PC gaming can create, but getting back into PC again because Mudrunner... lol

@rhs Just thought I’d throw my two cents in. I can understand your frustrations if you feel like the content of the game wasn’t as advertised and can totally see how the wording could be misleading. It’s a bit of a subjective thing though, everyone will perceive anything they read a little differently. I’m not calling you out as having unreasonable expectations, it’s just a matter of individual perception of what is advertised/delivered.

Personally, I think the size of the maps in the game work well. Much bigger and they’d risk becoming a chore to compete. Currently the 1km2 maps are large enough to give the player freedom to explore while also keeping them focused and engaged with clear, achievable goals. That’s a nice balance and could get totally lost in a bigger environment.