Maps...

does anybody think the maps are a bit crap?

They are massive meaning you spend 60 seconds running to the objective and get killed and then have to do it all over again. It is tedious and annoying but that isn'y my main problem with them.

My main issue with them is that they seem too chaotic, too under designed... It feels like NWI was making a town not a video game map. I know thats great for realism but its not good for gameplay. the old game struck a nice medium between realism and good map design. now it feels like there are just thousands of random buildings. And I mean oilfeild is cool but its literally a rabbit rowen of things up here, things down there, things over there and there. all of this combined with the new loud footsteps means it is almost impossible for flankers to flank. All i want is them to be stream lined a bit so they play better.

What do you think?

I think they'd be perfect if the objectives and enemy spawns moved around. For coop.

I cannot comprehend pursuing competitive PvP in a game with these maps. There is evidently a serious disconnect with common sense and intentions here.

@zucchini said in Maps...:

does anybody think the maps are a bit crap?

I like the new maps 🙂

My main issue with them is that they seem too chaotic, too under designed... It feels like NWI was making a town not a video game map. I know thats great for realism but its not good for gameplay.

The current map design is great for immersion in my opinion. The environments are believable. Chaotic feeling probably comes from all the possible angles the enemy can lurk in. I find that to be a positive thing, that there is more complexity.

I'm still learning new things about the maps almost every round as I'm playing and I'm far from exploring all the options I have, to approach/attack an objective.

the old game struck a nice medium between realism and good map design. now it feels like there are just thousands of random buildings.

The old engine also limited their map design, which is why they designed the maps how they designed them.

And I mean oilfeild is cool but its literally a rabbit rowen of things up here, things down there, things over there and there. all of this combined with the new loud footsteps means it is almost impossible for flankers to flank.

I don't agree here. There are more options for paths, because the maps are so open.

I hated oilfield first, because there was so much going on 😃 But after playing it enough I found paths that let me play to my strenghts and avoid snipers 🙂

There's a button to move more silently and you know that 🙂 Yeah, it's slower.

All i want is them to be stream lined a bit so they play better.

What do you mean with streamlining? Making them more simple? Making the maps more like tunnels won't definitely help the flankers 🙂

What do you think?

Maps are definitely different from INS2. I've also played Arma and Squad so I'm used more open maps. I also prefer the new maps over the INS2 maps.

@whitby said in Maps...:

I think they'd be perfect if the objectives and enemy spawns moved around. For coop.

Your COOP game mode suggestion in another thread was awesome!

I cannot comprehend pursuing competitive PvP in a game with these maps. There is evidently a serious disconnect with common sense and intentions here.

The way maps are created at the moment, suits more an immersion shooter than a competitive shooter in my opinion.

I've said it before, but I think competitive mode should have different maps/levels than push game mode, which is the immersion shooter game mode in my eyes.

@jensiii

I had to do a double-take right there lol. If you and I finally agree on something it must be in some serious need of fixing.

Building maps is very costly in terms of development time and labour. If competitive play is the goal, I totally agree with you, they need new maps. (Possible exception on Precinct if they cordoned a smaller area of play off?)

Personally my days of sweaty carries in CS: Source are long behind me, as I've aged my reaction time has too. I recognise my own bias but I hope NWI recognises the value in what they've designed and cater to the coop community predominantly. It is their core customer base after all. Sandstorm is lightyears from being a competitive PvP game in its current configuration.

I prefer this kind of map design 🙂

there are no loud footsteps when you walk!!

@snuffeldjuret

As a predominantly coop player, me too. I absolutely love the map design.

Yeah sorry for PvP*

I love these maps for COOP, they are amazing.

But for PvP I they need a touch up...
Immersion is amazing but the gameplay suffers. streamlining isn't the right word for it but you know what I mean. make the clutter feel purposeful...

last edited by Zucchini