weapon jams

Having occasional jams and clearing them would be awesome. Enough said.

If it was an open-world RPG game where you have to clean your equipment and stuff... Yeah, that would be great.

But in a normal, down-to-earth shooter, there's absolutely no place for that. You just can't RNG that in a way that would make more than one person happy... the guy not getting killed because his would-be killer got a random jam.

Now... in co-op? That'd be a 'maybe'. Just because it would compete with a lot of other RNG deaths. 😉

it would keep people from doing suicide sprints toward you like short bus kids. Because there would be the chance of a jam at close quarters (would also make engagements more tense). Also would encourage having a battle buddy in case your weapon jams up, thus encouraging team play.

I don't really see any downsides.

I remember like 15 years back when Americas Army had jams in the game. That, and the suppression effect was fucking awesome, oh man. loved that game.

And the hour long powerpoint you had to watch in a classroom to be a medic with the test at the end of it? Best shit ever.

I'm serious about the jams though.

last edited by Dark1202

For the amount of time the engagements in the game portray, I doubt there'd be many jams. I guess it'd be a cool addition but the developers would have to make sure it was a very, very rare occurrence indeed.

@dark1202 said in weapon jams:

I don't really see any downsides.

Downside is that RNG becomes a part of winning or losing engagements, which is always a bad thing in multiplayer games in terms of competitiveness.
It will frustrate players a lot, when it happens to you and you lose the fight because of that. And I doubt somebody would like it in this situation, because of "immersion".
And even the opponent who may benefit from his enemy's jammed gun might not even realize that this was been the case in this specific scenario (he may thinks that he was just better/faster or he had a bad enemy).
I honestly can't see any advantages of this feature for the game.

@dark1202 said in weapon jams:

it would keep people from doing suicide sprints toward you like short bus kids. Because there would be the chance of a jam at close quarters (would also make engagements more tense). Also would encourage having a battle buddy in case your weapon jams up, thus encouraging team play.

To the first point: sandstorm is a cqc game. So basically you need a mechanic that works for cqc (main purpose of the game). So jammed guns would ruin that to a certain degree.
And to your following points: those are actually just claims without any evidence. It may be true that jammed guns help here, but chances are same for not having any effects whatsoever on team play or intensity of combats).
Plus there are a lot of other, better ways to improve teamplay than having jammed guns in the game.

@benny I would like it because of immersion lol.

Aside from that, those are fair points too. Especially the competition part. I actually think that's the main reason the devs haven't added it to the game. They seem seem really bent on making the game competition applicable (as appears to be evident by the "competitive" mode that no one plays). Which I have no problem with, I guess. Maybe it'll catch on when the player base grows.

Also, my statements don't have any evidence, that's a good point. But it's pretty much impossible to make any evidence based statement about it positive or negative considering we have no sample group to compare the status quo to, or any agreed upon means of measuring how we would do so. So yeah, it couldn't be anything more than speculation, even if I wanted it to be. Same applies to your claims as well, to be fair.

I think it's a good idea. It adds realism and immersion, but more than that it offers another element to the meta of the game that can be manipulated to help with balance. For example: right now drum mags give you a larger magazine capacity and raise the overall amount of ammo you carry. Downside? Weight I guess. In real life they tend to jam more, so that can become another option for balance.

It shouldn't be a common occurrence. The AR platform tends to be able to fire about 2,000 rounds reliably before jamming starts to become a problem from fouling. Short-stroke piston designs like the G36, SCAR, and HK416 tend to get 3,000 to 4,000. Otherwise most jams are caused by mags.

You think you want this, until you get killed in a firefight due to something that was out of your control, which will add frustration.

It might work in an open-world survival game, but not in this.

Please no. There's already too much RNG in this game; don't make pulling the trigger a roll of the dice. This game isn't a milsim. Will people please stop trying to make it one?

@xiddy said in weapon jams:

You think you want this, until you get killed in a firefight due to something that was out of your control, which will add frustration.

It might work in an open-world survival game, but not in this.

No, you're wrong on that. I definitely would want it. The last game I played that had it was fucking awesome imo and I loved it.

That being said, judging by other responses I am the minority on this topic so the people have spoken.

last edited by Dark1202

@cyoce Seriously? Stfu troll. This game was meant for tactical gamers. If you can't handle games for real men then go play COD with the other 12 year olds and let intelligent, superior people talk.

Anyway, what I think this game actually needs is more immersion. Jams are pretty good, but what I'd really like to see is if at random times your character needed to poop. You could ignore it but it would increase your weapon sway.

You wouldn't need any intrusive icons or anything, you could just have some audio cues like "cover me I have to poop!" or "I need to make a poo poo!"

@xiddy said in weapon jams:

You mean like getting blown up by artillery? Brrrrrrted by an A-10? Hit by a rocket in the face from 150m away? Blown up by a grenade that explodes the second it lands at your feet? Suddenly playing hot potato with a ballistic molitov?

There are dozens of ways to die stupid deaths in this game that are out of your control. You can either get mad a frustrated by it, or laugh at the silliness. I prefer the latter.

@maa_bunny All tose things are ennemy players controled. You might just as well add "getting shot" to that list of yours. Of course you can't decide when to die. The point is that jamming guns is not player controled. Not even by ennemies. It's not a strategic feature like air support or grenades/molotovs.

It's just the game telling you to fuck off randomly, because even if you were intelligent enough to flank and come into ennemies' backs unseen, pull the trigger first and be rewarded for your smart behaviour, you can still get zero kills and get killed because you weapon fucking jammed at the most crucial moment. That's BS, especially for a game that aims at making an entrance on the competitive FPS scene.

@maa_bunny While those are also bullshit, they are at least relatively consistent. You may prefer to "laugh at the silliness," but some other people prefer balanced and engaging gameplay. It's pretty clear that the devs want this game to be taken seriously, and I'm sure most Insurgency players do too. If this is going to be a competitive game like the ranked mode suggests is intended, the game needs a lot of work.

last edited by cyoce

@milsimelite Not the tone to use of these forums.

@iyagovos I'm fairly certain he was joking... "I need to make a poo poo" kind of gave it away