Holy Heck The Bots Are "KOBE!" Machines Now!

In one map I witnessed a teammate have a grenade land ON his head and then blow up, 4 molotovs (and one grenade) get thrown through the same door in a 3 second period, 2 grenades come through a window into a room we were defending... and multiple other crazy impossible throws that would otherwise be hard to replicate even in a DudePerfect! video. It's even worse knowing they're doing these perfect throws that land at your feet without you ever entering their line-of-sight.

At least throw in some goddamn inaccuracy cones for these bot grenade tosses. Or prevent them from throwing beyond a certain distance. We ultimately lost because a bot Hail Mary'd a grenade all the way across the bridge (last objective Hideout) and it dropped right on our last guys head...

@amurka That’s how it always has been. Bots throwing molotovs from 100 feet away for it to hit you square in the head.

I really hate how they no longer need to see you to gps nade you now, with perfectly cooked nades.
....remember there IS a keybind to throw one back in the 0.00025 sec b4 it explodes

Do i just stand over the nade and look where i want to throw it and tap a button or do i have to fumble around on the ground and look DIRECTLY at the nade with my cursor before it will allow me to pick it up>?

Fucking lolled at the title, thanks OP.

Anyway yes indeed I did get tactical precision molotov in my face as well, so yeah if they could at least resemble some kind of inaccuracy that'd be pretty good. Like there should be a radius around the player that the grenades / mollys might hit.

After several hours, I can finally say that OP is right. Bots are throwing grenades everywhere with remarkable accuracy. Molotovs always land dead on target, which can be frustrating sometimes.

I like it, as it makes coop more challenging and teamplay benefits from it quite a bit, but... They should see their accuracy reduced a bit, and throw grenades less often, imo.

last edited by Grumf

@amurka said in Holy Heck The Bots Are "KOBE!" Machines Now!:

Do i just stand over the nade and look where i want to throw it and tap a button or do i have to fumble around on the ground and look DIRECTLY at the nade with my cursor before it will allow me to pick it up>?

Load up Local Play and throw your own grenade at the wall to test it out. You get plenty of time to test the mechanics. Holding the pick-up button so you can point in the right direction works, too, but don't do it too long because it's already ticking.

@amurka Yeah, I'm with you about 10000% on this one.

One match on Hideout Sec Checkpoint, it was just me and another buddy on the bridge at Golf holding the point off from a counter, and a frag grenade landed right in between both of us. Before I could even process the grenade was there and either run or chuck the grenade away, the frag went off and wiped us both, ending the match (as that was attempt three).

Another match in Refinery Sec Checkpoint, I engaged a group of bots counterattacking Charlie that were behind these stairs (that couldn't seem to shoot me) and about five seconds later three F1 Frags simultaneously flew through the garage doorway. I did have time to run, at least lmao.

Love the DudePerfect reference because it's pretty accurate atm lmao.

To be honest, I couldn't care less if the bot grenade accuracy stays the same. Creates a lot of tension lol. What I do care about is now insanely well the bots cook that shit. I'm not even sure if they're cooking the grenade at all of it's just a bot that's yeeting a frag halfway across the map, but goddamn. I don't care if a frag lands right at my feet, but I want to at least have a chance at surviving lol.

@amurka Well, in theory you just run over to the frag, and (like Day of Infamy) you hold your Interact key to pick up the frag and then let go of it to chuck it. Now, I've heard that some people have to press the key to pick up the frag, and then press it again or something, but I'm pretty sure that's a bug.

Granted, I'm not exactly sure how easy it is to actually click on the frag, and right now you don't even have the time to do it lol.

Not Only can they lob a Molly or a Nade on your noggen and thats while you are behind a wall out of site. I have also noticed that the Bots take a lot more fire to take them out making it unrealistic the hit boxes seemed to have changed on them and once you take an objective they still spawn on top or behind you.

I remember when they pushed an update to Insurgency 2 that was similar to this. There was a theater file I could edit on my server to remove the grenades from a lot of the bots. If they didn't cook it in this game, and kept it to maybe 10-15% equipped on bots, it wouldn't be as aggravating because we at least get to use the "throw back" mechanic and whittle down some players that aren't as reactive or aware of grenade sound cues to maintain challenging gameplay.

Similarly, I found out I can change the molotov damage modifiers. I changed the impact damage on the molotov to 0 in the theater file and decreased the "touching fire" damage a bit. This made the molotovs something that kept the players on their feet by obscuring our vision (since smoke in Insurgency 2 worked to our advantage), encouraging us to take a different route, and forcing us to move from our cozy setup positions during counter attacks--just adding chaos. Those simple changes caused the gameplay to become a lot more dynamic and refreshing.

I'm really hoping for some similar ways to make these changes in Sandstorm dedicated servers soon.

I hope the DEVs fix the navy SEAL bots, because it is impossible to win against them, even when you play with tactics.
Just another statistics to back this up, while being an observer I got killed 4 times by the dreaded pinpoint accurate molotov (out of these 2 times the enemy probably shouldn't have even seen me in the first place) 2 times I got killed by a 1 shot 1 kill out of fucking nowhere shot, when I got pissed and switched to gunner, so I can provide support from far far away, I got killed 2 times again with the 1 shot 1 kill headshot and obviously with a pinpoint accurate grenade.

tl;dr
Please fix:

• the pinpoint accurate molotovs/grenades
  • the random first shot headshots

@sgt-kanyo said in Holy Heck The Bots Are "KOBE!" Machines Now!:

Please fix:

Bots have had the second problem for at least two months now with the first-shot accuracy. The new patch ended up causing the first problem too lmao.

last edited by MarksmanMax

Was in a game today. Refinery, security side. Bots spammed 4 molotovs simultaneously at the exact same spot while attacking C, lol. That was quite neat to look at tbh.

@marksmanmax said in Holy Heck The Bots Are "KOBE!" Machines Now!:

Please fix:

Bots have had the second problem for at least two months now with the first-shot accuracy. The new patch ended up causing the first problem too lmao.

I haven't had the 2nd issue before the patch. Sometimes I did get a headshot, but it certainly wasn't this frequent.
I remember the original Insurgency having this bug too sometimes.

I haven't had the 2nd issue before the patch. Sometimes I did get a headshot, but it certainly wasn't this frequent.
I remember the original Insurgency having this bug too sometimes.

Well, not necessarily first-shot headshots, per se, but bots would often torso-shot you with their first shot fired and then proceed to miss the next 15 shots. It was pretty annoying to run out from the resupply point, get instantly hit by a bot, then have to run back to the resupply point to get my HP back (since you usually die in two shots from most weapons).