Suggestion: Windowed Magazine Attachment

Holding [Reload] to check your ammo status is slower than quickly changing to and from your secondary anyway making it a bit redundant. (If you switch very fast before letting the animation complete).

However, the idea of a mechanism to check your current ammo status is a good idea.

I'd suggest adding a Windowed Magazine attachment option and having the the check ammo function quickly tilt the side of your weapon towards you so you can visually check the remaining ammo.

alt text

The idea isn´t bad but how you handle this with MG´s ( they have ammo-boxes ) and Shotguns ( internal tube for shotgun shells )?
You can´t just exchange the "check ammo" sequence by tilting the weapon to the side to see how much ammo left.

So may be NWI can add this checking animation for players who are using rifles additionaly to the little magazine icons on the right bottom.
I think it would look real nice.

On the other hand a windowed magazine is not standard neither in regular military nor in insurgents weaponry.

I like that idea and can see a legitimate implementation of a mechanic like this and to help this across there are plenty real world examples.
alt textG36 Mags
alt text AK74 Mags
alt textAR15 Mags
This also doesn't necessarily have you be applied to all weapons, thereby having an impact on player weapon choice.

One nice thing about the current hold "R" mechanic is it also shows you the status of mags on your body too, for which the brief pat-down animation makes sense.

A windowed mag accessory would be kinda cool, but then should be a separate thing to the full body check, and I'm not sure how you do that. It wouldn't realistically be available for every gun while the G-36 actually uses translucent mags by default. Lots of pistols have mags with witness holes which require removing the mag from the gun.

Also, just cutting a window into the side of a normal mag, which is what both AK examples look to be, is not a great idea. It's a great way to end up with a mag full of sand and mud and jam up the gun.

@gsg_9_lightning said in Suggestion: Windowed Magazine Attachment:

On the other hand a windowed magazine is not standard neither in regular military nor in insurgents weaponry.

@saltybread said in Suggestion: Windowed Magazine Attachment:

I like that idea and can see a legitimate implementation of a mechanic like this and to help this across there are plenty real world examples.
This also doesn't necessarily have you be applied to all weapons, thereby having an impact on player weapon choice.

Exactly. My thought is that it would be a weapon accessory and thus not every weapon would have the option. As it would cost supply, you'd really have to decide if it's worth spending the point. It is definitely non-standard and I think this could address that.

@gsg_9_lightning said in Suggestion: Windowed Magazine Attachment:

The idea isn´t bad but how you handle this with MG´s ( they have ammo-boxes ) and Shotguns ( internal tube for shotgun shells )?
You can´t just exchange the "check ammo" sequence by tilting the weapon to the side to see how much ammo left.

@maa_bunny said in Suggestion: Windowed Magazine Attachment:

One nice thing about the current hold "R" mechanic is it also shows you the status of mags on your body too, for which the brief pat-down animation makes sense.
A windowed mag accessory would be kinda cool, but then should be a separate thing to the full body check, and I'm not sure how you do that...

Agreed. For the mechanic to be relevant, I think the ammo display would need to change back to the original Insurgency behaviour: Showing you only how many magazines you are carrying but NOT tell you how many rounds are currently loaded in your gun.

I'd suggest a new keybind [Check Ammo] that is separate from [Reload]. A Single-press for a quick glance at your magazine (this needs to be fast and thus h-o-l-d-i-n-g [Reload] might be too long) and double-press for a body pat-down to see how many mags you are carrying which would work as it does now showing icons for mags (without what is loaded in the gun).

The biggest issue is that it's a lot of work for arguably small amount of gain. It would be very cool and add realism, but adding new animations, modelling new magazines/bullets, adding a mechanic to have the bullets visually deplete as you fire them... Obviously, I like the idea but I also could see this being an extra gravy feature that doesn't make the cut. Still, doesn't hurt to put ideas out there for future consideration 🙂

@jlx I like your idea for a separate ammo check button that can have multiple functions. This may be an unfortunate instance of the planned console release causing problems since it'll be necessary to keep the number of buttons down.

@maa_bunny said in Suggestion: Windowed Magazine Attachment:

Also, just cutting a window into the side of a normal mag, which is what both AK examples look to be, is not a great idea. It's a great way to end up with a mag full of sand and mud and jam up the gun.

We... we talking bout some 'o dat sweet, sweet FarCry 2 jamming?

alt text