ADS Speed? Primary vs Secondary.

It feels to me that aiming down sights (ADS) is slower for my pistol than my primary. Is this by design?

I'd have thought one of the advantages of using a pistol for CQC would be faster ADS time.

@jlx It might just be that you're (rightly) expecting it to be faster and it's a bit jarring. I'm pretty sure ADS speed is constant throughout all guns. This really needs to be fixed for balance, along with increasing ADS time from sprint so we can remove Parkinson's (RNG sway) after sprinting.

@cyoce Yeah. A sliding scale for ADS time would be very welcome!

Pistols < Carbines < Assault Rifles < Sniper Rifles

A more realistic sliding scale would be based on the type of sight. The 1X sights would be fastest with irons and magnified optics slower and the higher powered optics slowest.

I feel right now they're all the same, which doesn't really bother me much.

No, the speeds are acceptable as they are, you're just using a heavy loadout and expecting the speed of a light loadout.
Try maxing out the carry capacity with heavy items and doing a ads test then compare it to a light loadout, you'll notice you move faster, sprint faster, and then you'll probably go "Gosh darn i'm such a silly sausage i can't believe i forgot Ins has a weight mechanic!"

You want it to be more cod like. No thanks.
You want to be able to sprint a marathon combat slide into cover and instantly be able to take aim with your heavy weapon and have zero sway, what games just like that? Oh yeah cod!

Don't sprint and go into combat straight away if you can't manage to deal with sway.
When you aim down the sights you aren't going to be running about the place unless you're some super elite soldier like the british sas or sbs, or us rangers, delta, navy seals, russian spetznas etc, and even then they will be moving at a reduced rate of speed to keep their aim steady so they can shoot accurately, even these elite soldiers have special ways of moving, i think the british sas and sbs call their method the ghost step as it makes less noise and helps them to stay accurate while aiming on the move.

Tbh its like you expect cod out of insurgency, and it's too arcadey and not even the slightest bit realistic which is more enjoyable, have either of you ever fired a real weapon let alone own one and tried moving quickly while aiming down the sights and being accurate? It's incredibly difficult and you must be on flat terrain or you must have practice for a long time and have a very light load to even be able to do so, even with a pistol you'll struggle to keep the ironsights perfectly aligned, insurgency isn't a hollywood movie like John Wick.

last edited by Depleted

@depleted We're talking about how long it takes to bring up your sights, not how fast you can walk while aiming.

As for the COD rant, your solution to dissuading "run and gun" mechanics is sway (RNG). You know what has a lot of RNG? You guessed it! COD!

@depleted said in ADS Speed? Primary vs Secondary.:

No, the speeds are acceptable as they are, you're just using a heavy loadout and expecting the speed of a light loadout.
Try maxing out the carry capacity with heavy items and doing a ads test then compare it to a light loadout, you'll notice you move faster, sprint faster, and then you'll probably go "Gosh darn i'm such a silly sausage i can't believe i forgot Ins has a weight mechanic!"

We are very aware there is a weight mechanic. As @cyoce pointed out, that's not what we are discussing.

My suggestion was that there be a relative difference in ADS times to reflect different classes of weapons. Personally, I don't think ADS should be changed based on scope type as @MAA_Bunny suggested but done rather on size/class of the firearm.

Currently, the only reason you'd switch to your sidearm is if you're out of ammo and don't have time for a reload. For immersion, I like to equip a pistol when I enter a cramped building rather than use a MBR. But, TBH, this is generally a disadvantage.

Even with the much longer length of an Assault or Battle rifle, I'm able to ADS and turn around in staircases without problem. I'm not suggesting this change so you bump into stuff more often. Just to point out that equipping a pistol isn't necessary.

By adjusting the ADS times between different classes (Pistol / Carbine+Shotgun / Assault Rifle / Battle Rifle / LMG) you'd be modelling the advantage of a smaller sized weapon when used in the setting it is designed for.

Thus also differentiating weapons based on their ergonomics, not just bullet trajectory or penetration. Do you prefer a slight advantage in draw/ADS time or increased penetration/scope options/mag size when indoors? I'd argue this makes for a more interesting tactical choice.

Also, not everything has get faster. Perhaps sidearms would get 85% of current ADS speeds. Carbines/Shotguns stay the same, Assault + 10% (so slower)... you get the idea. This is something the devs would figure out if they are interested in pursuing it.

It feels to me that aiming down sights (ADS) is slower for my pistol than my primary. Is this by design?

This was my original concern and, on further testing, it seems there may be an intermittent bug with the sidearm ADS which did make the pistol ADS slower:

The first time I ADS after equipping my sidearm there was a small initial delay. After that ADS worked as expected until switching away from my secondary and back again. It's that initial delay that was bothering me.

I tested again last night with the M005 (after playing for a while) and it was clearly noticable. However, when testing this morning after boot, it did not occur. I'll monitor and report the bug if/when I can find a way to reliably reproduce it. If anyone else has experienced this, I'd be curious to know.

@depleted said in ADS Speed? Primary vs Secondary.:

You want it to be more cod like....
You want to be able to sprint a marathon combat slide into cover and instantly be able to take aim...
Tbh its like you expect cod out of insurgency...

I have no issue if you disagree with any of the suggestions brought up, but I'd prefer if you stuck to your option rather than telling me what I want.

I don't want a COD/arcade experience any more than you do. My suggestion was in fact aimed to help bring more realism to the game - not the other way around. FWIW, I think you're aiming your anti-arcade sentiments at the wrong people.

*Edited for a typo

last edited by JLX