New DLC, whats the point...

...in making something that the modding community have already made 100 times over and continue to do. Im talking about new trucks and levels in American Wilds. I dont quite see the point in the devs making something that the modding community already makes. They should have concentrated improving the game in areas where the modding community cant contribute. First thing that come to mind is bigger maps. That might not be possible...but my point is that the devs should expand the game in ways that the modding community cant do.

American Theme was requested a lot by players. So the devs decided to bring out that DLC. And don't forget: mods are only available on pc. Console players may be very happy with this new content.

Yup, I am a console player very happy with the DLC.

Yup, it's mostly for console players and those who want more American-themed content & resources. I'm a PC player and haven't got this DLC yet. I may get it later if the bugs get fixed, or I may just wait for the mod community to generate new content with the American assets. For now I have more than enough mods to keep me busy & having fun.

Mods should not be a substitute for official content. I would like to see more systems changes, though.

@lombra For me it depends on the quality. Some mods actually exceed the quality of the official content. So it can be hard to justify purchasing this DLC, especially if it provides some of the same or similar vehicles but with lower quality/detail. I know the DLC has some new stuff too and I may still get it eventually but I also would have preferred the devs focus on improving the game & fixing bugs.

last edited by Unster

I dont think American Wilds was a DLC meant for the console players. It was meant for PC players too, that was their intention. Unintentionally it becomes a DLC for the console players because of all the mods pc players have available.

If the DLC was intended for console players I would say the devs have a pretty poor business sense. PC players are the reason for Spintires/mudrunners success, leaving them out dosent make any sense.

@bolliz
I concur. AW- related mods are already popping up in the workshop. In fact it's easy to make AW mods out of the AW resources, even if you don't have AW. I mean on the one hand, that's really nice for us PC players. On the other hand I now see there's no reason for PC players to purchase this DLC since it offers nothing that we don't already have. This should have been a free DLC for PC players. It's just more new trucks & levels that the mod community has been making for free all these years. There's nothing new gameplay-wise.

last edited by Unster

I'm a console player and I really enjoy the new American wilds DLC.Only have one question about it - Why the new DLC maps are more brighter and more colourfull?Don't get me wrong I really like it.Just wish they could put the same bright colours to the base game as everything in there is more grey-ish! I know PC users can change it by moving few files in the game folders.
And speaking about the mods on consoles.As for me I don't really need them.Just could do with the map editor in the game so players could share them just between themselves by uploading and downloading.
And a custom game function would be great just so I could adjust my own gameplay.
Thank's

@epstetique
Siberia and north west russia arent a shiny places...
alt text

@epstetique said in New DLC, whats the point...:

I'm a console player and I really enjoy the new American wilds DLC.Only have one question about it - Why the new DLC maps are more brighter and more colourfull?Don't get me wrong I really like it.Just wish they could put the same bright colours to the base game as everything in there is more grey-ish! I know PC users can change it by moving few files in the game folders.

Actually we can't change the color saturation just by moving some files as far as I know. I believe that's a setting in the level itself (not something in a text file) that's adjusted via the map editor. I'd also prefer a more consistent color saturation so I don't have to keep switching the color modes on my monitor. Using my more saturated settings for the Russian-style maps results in over-saturation on the US-style maps.

@stazco said in New DLC, whats the point...:

epstetique
Siberia and north west russia arent a shiny places...
alt text

Is that your front yard @Stazco?

No, its typical yard in north west russia, logging paradise.
I live in central russia, moscow area, but its gloomy too, some months you see the sun a couple of times (but this summer and first half of autumn were perfect, cant complain).

last edited by Stazco

the point is that 80% of the mods are subpar and 98% of them are overpowered. As much as it pains me, there are only a few good models and they all could climb a vertical wall without any problem.

The modded maps have a similar problem, most of them, if not all, are the follow-the-road kind. You cannot shortcut in any way.

I welcome this DLC. I only wish it came with at least 2 more maps.

@araxp I disagree about the percentages. The mods are generally not that bad, though I do select the good ones. Some vehicles are overpowered, but that's an easy fix in the xml file. And I'd say most of the mod levels I've played didn't force me to be on road all the time, but yes it's usually easier to stay on a road as it should be.

last edited by Unster

Just curious.Is there any Mod that makes tires explode or pop because of over-tear and wear?!?That would be a great feature I think!

@epstetique Nope. I have been playing Spintires since 2011 and have never seen one, nor anything close.

I enjoy it on PC. Official, licensed content is always nicer than mods. Yes some mods are of insane quality, but most aren't.

@branathon said in New DLC, whats the point...:

I enjoy it on PC. Official, licensed content is always nicer than mods.

No, not always, but official content is generally good, even if it may need some tweaking. I actually think this new DLC is nice, but it shouldn't be a paid DLC, since they're just a couple of new levels and several new vehicles, i.e. they're essentially mods (with nice exteriors but sub-par interiors). A paid DLC in my view should come with new game play, for example a career mode, and not just content that's similar to what the mod community already produces.

last edited by Unster