Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely

Honestly just fuck this attachment.

So, for anyone who doesn't know, the Long Barrel makes most .308 weapons one-shot kill to the torso of a player at close range, even if he has Heavy Armor (the SCAR-H is the exception; it doesn't really do anything for that gun). That's my biggest problem with this attachment because it essentially adds AP ammo to the G3A3, M14 EBR, and FAL and bypasses armor entirely. For other weapons, the Long Barrel increases the hitscan range for weapons but that's not really necessary anyway. Rifles have an effective range of at least 120 meters and kills past that distance is the Marksman's job.

I think the Long Barrel attachment should automatically be equipped to the bolt-action rifles (as those are designed purely for damage at range). Remove the attachment for all other weapons just for game balance purposes. Maybe buff the M24 as well, as it's currently mediocre at best.

last edited by MarksmanMax

Id rather get rid of compensators if I had my choice.

@ziggylata said in Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely:

Compensators only affect user handling, though. The Long Barrel makes a strong difference in TTK.

@marksmanmax said in Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely:

Compensators only affect user handling, though. The Long Barrel makes a strong difference in TTK.

Shooting a second shot with more accuracy would also make a strong TTK difference?

Shooting a second shot with more accuracy would also make a strong TTK difference?

Why fire a second shot when you kill the guy in one shot lmao.

Because what if you miss the first shot?

Then you fire another.

It's not like Compensators make bad players good players. Good players don't need "recoil-compensating" shit because they just burst the amount of rounds they need to kill someone. A Long Barrel on a G3 is one of the most powerful weapons in the game because the Time to kill is literally 0.0000000000000000 seconds within a hundred meters.

Then you fire another.

It's not like Compensators make bad players good players. Good players don't need "recoil-compensating" shit because they just burst the amount of rounds they need to kill someone. A Long Barrel on a G3 is one of the most powerful weapons in the game because the Time to kill is literally 0.0000000000000000 seconds within a hundred meters.

Adding more 0's doesnt make you look smarter, the G3 is a strange weapon that shouldnt be as cheap as it is, good players make mistakes and recoil dampening can be the difference between that mistake being recoverable and not being recoverable.

@ziggylata Also, you do know compensators have zero effect on vertical recoil, right? It's only for horizontal kick, and most weapons don't have much horiz. recoil.

Seriously, when you kill in one shot having a little extra "recoil" isn't gonna matter. Good players don't full-auto one-shot weapons.

@ziggylata Also, crouching has more effect on weapon recoil than any attachment in the game.

Adding more 0's doesnt make you look smarter

Insulting me for no reason doesn't make you look smarter either.

@ziggylata Also, you do know compensators have zero effect on vertical recoil, right? It's only for horizontal kick, and most weapons don't have much horiz. recoil.

Seriously, when you kill in one shot having a little extra "recoil" isn't gonna matter. Good players don't full-auto one-shot weapons.

Having a longer barrel doesnt increase the damage of your gun. Horizontal recoil is the unpredictable recoil, vertical recoil is entirely predictable and you can even use macros to remove it, meaning its learnable. The only thing you can do with horizontal recoil is be more spontaneous with your aim and expect the horizontal recoil, things that people do unconsciously already but the difference here is not having to do it entirely makes your aim much faster.

@ziggylata Also, crouching has more effect on weapon recoil than any attachment in the game.

Having a compensator on top of that wouldnt do anything negative.

Adding more 0's doesnt make you look smarter

Insulting me for no reason doesn't make you look smarter either.

Posting 3 times in a row is also doesnt make you look smart.

Actually, no, it wouldn't. Just realized this.

Time-To-Kill assumes perfect conditions, with 100% accuracy at the maximum possible firerate. Compensators don't affect the TTK at all because they don't affect weapon damage.

Heavy barrels are meant to improve bullet stability and therefore increase accuracy at range. Having the heavy barrel increase damage or velocity or whatever is dumb. At the ranges Sandstorm is played at a heavy barrel is moot. I agree with @MarksmanMax that it shouldn't be a thing.

I felt like it made more sense than editing my original post since it would guarantee that you would at least see it.

I don't think you realize how strong crouching is. It makes compensators and foregrips useless:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VkHh5v9sEgf8MVY2txNef9tQKf8iljVY

@thehappybub said in Remove The Long Barrel From Sandstorm Entirely:

Heavy barrels are meant to improve bullet stability and therefore increase accuracy at range. Having the heavy barrel increase damage or velocity or whatever is dumb. At the ranges Sandstorm is played at a heavy barrel is moot. I agree with @MarksmanMax that it shouldn't be a thing.

Well its actually "Long Barrel", not "Heavy Barrel", the difference is pretty self explanatory.

I felt like it made more sense than editing my original post since it would guarantee that you would at least see it.

I don't think you realize how strong crouching is. It makes compensators and foregrips useless:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VkHh5v9sEgf8MVY2txNef9tQKf8iljVY

Thats not what I said.

last edited by Ziggylata

It's a Long barrel, actually, although replacing it with a Heavy Barrel makes more sense to me imo.

Well its actually "Long Barrel", not "Heavy Barrel", the difference is pretty self explanatory.

Same difference though. They both do the same thing and you'd only see a difference at ranges of like 500+ m anyway.

last edited by thehappybub

Thats not what I said.

I'm not sure what this refers to, exactly.

Also, I'll post in a few minutes a video that proves the Long Barrel does increase weapon damage. Just waiting for it to upload to my Drive. I thought I already uploaded it lmao.

last edited by MarksmanMax