Free Look?

Has there been any consideration for free look? It would really help with situational awareness and realism. Having your rifle pointed down range where you anticipate engagement but still being able to scan your surroundings without moving your weapon would add to the immersion, and realism.

@dafez Not really, though.

A common habit taught to soldiers is the "third-eye rule". Basically, it means that wherever you're looking with your two eyes, your gun should also be "looking".

Frankly, there's no reason to look over your shoulder to spot a threat because if there is one, you won't be able to fire back immediately because your gun is facing the opposite direction. It would really only help if you're scanning while running but Sandstorm isn't really that type of game. That's more of a PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS or maybe an ArmA thing.

last edited by MarksmanMax

I disagree I think freelook would be a great addition.

@k0872 said in Free Look?:

I disagree I think freelook would be a great addition.

Doesn't really fit Insurgency, though.

@marksmanmax I can't say that I have military experience, just policing. And we are trained to avoid tunnel vision, which means that we scan while keeping our gun toward the threat. Example: You're outside and engaging targets with teammates that are 100M away. You need scan to your left and right to make sure you're not getting flanked.

When clearing houses, however, you keep your eyes and gun going the same way because its CQB.

@marksmanmax said in Free Look?:

@dafez Not really, though.

A common habit taught to soldiers is the "third-eye rule". Basically, it means that wherever you're looking with your two eyes, your gun should also be "looking".

This is a complex issue. I've had "look with your rifle" drilled into me many many times. But it's not always true. Moving your whole torso and arms to check a direction for threats is slow, and when looking for the position of friendlies you specifically don't want to be pointing your rifle at them. I've did some large building clearing training with Chicago SWAT where they were emphasizing looking with your head only while moving through an area. The idea being in an environment of halls and doorways it's better to move quickly to find the threat and then bring the entire entry team to bear on it rather than clearing room by room with part of the team.

This would be a great feature to add, especially with something like TrackIR, but I wouldn't say it's a priority. Not until everything that's in the game now is working right.