Competitive is an afterthought

I don't know how many matches I lost because the rules (cap ABC or kill all enemies) cease to exist at some random point later in a match. There is no warning, timer, nothing. This never happens in casual firefight. State the rules clearly. Inform the player when the overtime starts.

The exclusion of kill feed to encourage communication does not work and will not work - it only frustrates tons of people who don't have a mic or cannot use it.

@nearly said in Competitive is an afterthought:

The exclusion of kill feed to encourage communication does not work and will not work - it only frustrates tons of people who don't have a mic or cannot use it.

It works just fine. A microphone is needed in all competitive video games. Killfeed or not. People need to get a microphone if they want to play in comp or need to make keybinds / radial menu commands to report their kills.

I agree that for new people just learning firefight it is complicated - I want people to have to watch a 2-3 minute video the first time they join competitive that explains the firefight game mode in full. I also want the words "Overtime" to be displayed over the timer when it is indeed overtime.

I hadn't thought of that video idea for competitive, but that sounds like a fantastic idea.

Also agree on the killfeed issue. The lack of hit and kill notification (apart from blood spray) to the player and the team is what sets insurgency apart. I like that staying aware of the state of the match through communication and checking the map/scoreboard is important.

Also, do not overlook the instances where you may not be sure whether an enemy is down (and must decide whether to work with teammates to confirm, play around it, or take the risk). It adds another interesting aspect to the game which is lost if, for instance, you are suppressing a window (and perhaps shooting the wall around it) and accidentally get a kill notification.

last edited by nonsequiturist