Antialiasing Setting is broken ( .ini Fix in Original Post, as well as Supersampling)

@neokolzia u da real mvp

seriously though that shimmering effect was really distracting. Thanks heaps!

EDIT: although it does come with a performance hit. Then again I'm running a GTX 960 lel, still trying to find the best settings for my card.

2nd edit: also noticed that shadows were tanking my FPS - (in the menu for the following) 30 on very high, 40 on high, 43 on medium, 60 on low

last edited by edbods

@akm4life type this %AppData% in Windows search

i actually found not only did the game not make my eyes bleed anymore but i did get a bit of an fps boost. 1080ti card
maybe it just utilises the card a bit better?

@b4ndo said in Antialiasing Setting is broken ( .ini Fix in Original Post, as well as Supersampling):

i actually found not only did the game not make my eyes bleed anymore but i did get a bit of an fps boost. 1080ti card
maybe it just utilises the card a bit better?

Yeah Probably, there are some reports that setting higher settings (when you have a good enough CPU) it runs better than on low settings.

Now after the patch we have an official supersampling option available, but it does not seem to do anything. I still have no antialiasing no matter what I choose. And the assets of the game are designed in a way that would very much profit in visual fidelity from a good AA solution. I know UE4 has some kind of TAA, that seems to be disabled (and in most UE4 games has terrible default settings that make everything look blurry as fuck), any chance that will come back in a future patch?

The supersampling replaces the "resolution scale" that existed in the previous patch. The AA fix of the first post still works for me.

@neokolzia You are my new most favourite guy in this forum. From eye bleeding to an incredibly beautiful game with just a few lines pasted... Fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing this!

@neokolzia

Excellent settings !

Added these lines to my engine.ini and it works like a charm !

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.MSAA.CompositingSampleCount=8
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.ScreenPercentage=150

Perfect Picture quality and butter smooth FPS and no stutter thanks to the hyperthreading disabling ! ---> Fix here : https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/29538/turn-your-hyperthreading-off

This game is getting better and better every day ! 🙂

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

@gsg_9_lightning said in Antialiasing Setting is broken ( .ini Fix in Original Post, as well as Supersampling):

@neokolzia

Excellent settings !

Added these lines to my engine.ini and it works like a charm !

r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.ScreenPercentage=150

Perfect Picture quality and butter smooth FPS and no stutter thanks to the hyperthreading disabling ! ---> Fix here : https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/29538/turn-your-hyperthreading-off

This game is getting better and better every day ! 🙂

the question remains is that why is a community member fixing this instead of the devs?

new patch added supersampling so i removed this added script fix in some hope it was addressed.......it wasnt

from day 1 i still get bad aliasing when aiming down the sight

off does nothing (fair enough)
0,5 i get weird blown up block textures
1.5 still get bad ailiasing
2x seems to get somewhere in regards looking better but then get 30 fps!

last edited by b4ndo

Has anyone actually noticed a difference with just r.MSAA.CompositingSampleCount set? Because someone already mentioned that this does nothing since Sandstorm is apparently not configured to use MSAA.

@SirPenetrator and @Neokolzia, thank you so much for the fix. The jaggies were absolutely running immersion in an otherwise beautiful game.

I'm now able to run the game at 1440p/60 fps with an overclocked GTX 1060 6 Gb (r.ScreenPercentage=125, the rest is the same). To achieve this level of performance I had to disable screenspace reflections and set everything except textures to Low, but the game still looks awesome.

I'm also surprised the developers are not paying attention to this. It should be listed as a known issue.

@b4ndo Again supersampling is not the same with msaa. Supersampling upscales the resolution, so it's very demanding on the GPU. Anti aliasing settings can also cause stuttering if you are running out of vram, so be careful how much you are using on the .ini tweak.

last edited by zefs

Here is what i use works much better imo

r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.TemporalAAFilterSize=0.12
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.12
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=0.50

Don't think TAA works to be honest.

Deactivation of HT in BIOS on Intel 5820K / X99 had no positive effect in view of stuttering/lagging.

@zefs said in Antialiasing Setting is broken ( .ini Fix in Original Post, as well as Supersampling):

@b4ndo Again supersampling is not the same with msaa. Supersampling upscales the resolution, so it's very demanding on the GPU. Anti aliasing settings can also cause stuttering if you are running out of vram, so be careful how much you are using on the .ini tweak.

hi zefs

im only using this script

r.PostProcessAAQuality=6

i didnt add screen percentage part

on a 1080ti 11gb card this shouldnt be a major issue even if screen percentage was added would it?

That explains why I hadnt had any issues from the beginning. @DEDRICK had come up with a .ini file for the original alpha that looked something like this, with me adding in supersampling on my own.

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
r.ForceLOD=-1 ;Override LODs, Does it get rid of popi n? Testing still, should be max detail geo
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1 ;1 is Max
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.32 ;0.04 Default, Lower values blur and cause ghosting, higher values are sharper but cause more flickering
r.TemporalAASamples=4 ;8 default
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1 ;0 default, 1=sharper TAA
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6 ;6 is TAA Max
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=0 ;max quality characters
r.ViewDistanceScale=1 ;1 default, increases rendering distance of objects
r.LightFunctionQuality=2
r.ShadowQuality=5 ;5 is max and default
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=4
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=4096 ;4096 max static resolution
r.Shadow.MaxCSMResolution=4096 ;4096 max dynamic resolution
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=1.0 ;static shadow render fade distance
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=2.0 ;1 default, 2 max, increases dynamic object shadow fade distance
r.Shadow.PreShadowResolutionFactor=1.0
r.DistanceFieldShadowing=1
r.DistanceFieldAO=1
r.HBAO.Enable=1 ;Horizon Based AO Enabled but not sure if works
r.VolumetricFog=1
r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize=8
r.VolumetricFog.GridSizeZ=128
r.VolumetricFog.HistoryMissSupersampleCount=8
r.LightMaxDrawDistanceScale=1
r.MotionBlurQuality=0 ;4 Cinematic, 0 off
r.AmbientOcclusionMipLevelFactor=0.4
r.AmbientOcclusionMaxQuality=100
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=3 ;4 is cinematic quality but rough on FPS when suppressed, DoF cannot be disabled it's forced, 3 is between cine and Very High
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=1000
r.LensFlareQuality=3
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0 ;Chromatic Abberation, 0 off
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.DefaultFeature.AutoExposure=0 ;Auto Exposure off,fixes strange light issues
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=2 ;Auto Exposure, do not set to 0, game goes super dark
r.BloomQuality=5 ;5 default
r.FastBlurThreshold=100
r.Upscale.Quality=3
r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=1
r.LightShaftQuality=1
r.Filter.SizeScale=1
r.Tonemapper.Quality=5
r.Streaming.MipBias=0 ;max resolution textures
r.MaxAnisotropy=16 ;max aniso
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1
r.Streaming.PoolSize=8192 ;3000 default WARNING Uses up to 8GB of VRAM
r.Streaming.MaxEffectiveScreenSize=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=64
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.SSR.Quality=3 ;Screen space reflection, 4 is max
r.SceneColorFormat=3 ;4 enables RGBA
r.DetailMode=2
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=1
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1 ; High quality
r.SSS.Scale=1 ;Subsurface Scattering
r.SSS.SampleSet=2
r.SSS.Quality=1
r.SSS.HalfRes=0
r.EmitterSpawnRateScale=1.0
r.ParticleLightQuality=2
r.ScreenPercentage=150

@thenickgann said in Antialiasing Setting is broken ( .ini Fix in Original Post, as well as Supersampling):

That explains why I hadnt had any issues from the beginning. @DEDRICK had come up with a .ini file for the original alpha that looked something like this, with me adding in supersampling on my own.

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
r.ForceLOD=-1 ;Override LODs, Does it get rid of popi n? Testing still, should be max detail geo
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1 ;1 is Max
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.32 ;0.04 Default, Lower values blur and cause ghosting, higher values are sharper but cause more flickering
r.TemporalAASamples=4 ;8 default
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1 ;0 default, 1=sharper TAA
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6 ;6 is TAA Max
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=0 ;max quality characters
r.ViewDistanceScale=1 ;1 default, increases rendering distance of objects

The problem with such a big edit of the .ini file is:
If you don't know what you're adding here and it still doesn't work or something else doesn't work properly you'll have a shit time figuring out what it is.

Adding only 3 lines, for example, just makes it so much easier. Of course, you can tweak even more and be more precise with the settings you've posted. But it'll be a pain in the ass if you need to figure out what's what.

@b4ndo
No. I even had ScreenPrecentage added @120 with my 980ti ^^

@Helsing1789
I read the OP but I won't go deactivating cores etc. just for this one game lol.
That's just too much. I fixed stuttering for me since the last patch with lowering the texture stream size and changing some settings, works now. (Even though I still have stutters, they are very rare now)
But I won't go turning on/off HT all the time just to play this game.

last edited by SirPenetrator

I think that the game uses a lot of vram because not everything is optimized yet which I believe is the cause of stuttering on most systems currently. I am monitoring it with msi afterburner and the game was smoother if I stayed below 3.5gb (GTX 970 which has 4gb but the 0.5gb is slower vram than normal gpus, lol).

Thing is sometimes the game starts with 4gb vram usage for some reason, so I am guessing these issues will be fixed soon. So I would recommend the lowest texture streaming and not using the .ini fix for AA but using FXAA instead for people with similar or lower end GPU's for now.

last edited by zefs

Thank you all for the tweaks.
I have a gud lookin game now at around 50+ fps.
I have rx 460(2gb)
my config is as below

r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.TemporalAAFilterSize=0.12
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.12
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=0.50
r.ScreenPercentage=120

I would like to know what is "Texture Streaming Pool Size" under video settings!
If it is directly related to the Memory on gpu I would surely set it under 2gb(max of my card).

Edit:
Btw I think we need mouse smoothing when aiming with scope at least, is there a way to turn on mouse smoothing only when aiming with scope?

last edited by chraso