AMD vs Intel performance

Reading here and on the Steam forum I've noticed a pattern. I see a lot of I7 owners touting how well Sandstorm runs, even with older 9 series Nvidia cards. Most of our clan has older AMD CPUs (see my specs below). The beta runs really crappy for us (maybe 50 FPS average with low to medium settings) even with 10 series cards. Your thoughts?

I don't have an i7 but I do have an i5 with a 960 4gb and it runs great, odd you say they are "touting about it" because ive seen quite the opposite tbh, in my experience I've seen a lot of people complain with their i7's and 10 series cards getting lower frames than me, which is odd, that was before the hotfix though so not sure.

But yeah it is probably less optimised for AMD, perfomance is something the devs are constantly working on though so hopefully it does get better.

Performance is still unstable on any platform, high end hardware just brute-forces its way to stability.

We are not done with optimization pass just yet, this is also the reason why we did not publish minimum hardware requirements as we want them to be as accurate as possible.

On a side note, your specific CPU barely touched performance of contemporary i5s so comparing it to an i7 from that era (or newer) will not be accurate.

Ryzen 5 1600x 4.2 ghz
Gtx 1080 runs great here not perfect

@arc said in AMD vs Intel performance:

your specific CPU barely touched performance of contemporary i5s so comparing it to an i7 from that era (or newer) will not be accurate

Yes I realize that; I did state that we know that we are running older hardware. I wasn't comparing performance, just wondering if AMD architecture would benefit as much as Intel in regards to optimization efforts.

...this is also the reason why we did not publish minimum hardware requirements as we want them to be as accurate as possible.

We'll be looking forward to those, more from a "what upgrades do we need" perspective than a "can we get by" one. Altho' Christmas (and related sales events) aren't that far off so we might get by until then, depending. 😉

@SpartanViperz
Yah, I've seen a bit of that (good reports using i5 or i7 w/older vid cards) and don't quite get it. As for AMD, likely I'll consider an i7 next upgrade.

@DutchpowerNL
Tx for the report.

Its unplayable for me now 😞 before the latest update it was running pretty good, now its literally a constant freeze fest with fps going as low as 1fps! even when it is running better (which it did last night for some reason) its still a constant stutter fest, shame really as I really want to play but cant now!

My specs are

I3 6320
gtx 970
windows 10 pro
8gb ddr4 ram

I've got a rather weird setup with a Ryzen 1700X and two 660 Ti cards in SLI. After the last hotfix my frame rate swings wildly between 110 FPS and 1 FPS. I assume this is all on the graphics cards, not my CPU.

Intel vs AMD might make a small difference in optimization, but I certainly wouldn't plan an upgrade around it right now with the game unfinished.

@maa_bunny said in AMD vs Intel performance:

Intel vs AMD might make a small difference in optimization, but I certainly wouldn't plan an upgrade around it right now with the game unfinished.

Agreed. We're in no rush. INS2 is running really well with our current hardware, and who knows maybe NW will pleasantly surprise us with optimization patches.