This game is not suitable for comp play.

The comp scene for sandstorm is a mess rn. RnG makes it hard for a skilled player to land skilled shots or a smart player to make smart plays.

1. Predictable horizontal sway pattern
If your gonna give me parkinson's give me somewhat predictable parkinson's. Sway pattern should be mostly horizontal, controllable if the player is skilled enough, and should only appear when spraying. As of currently its completely unpredictable and promotes spraying and large mags, not well placed shots and marksmanship. A player who can get good shots should be able to get good shots. Intentional headshots in this game are non-existent at this point.

• Raises the skill ceiling (by a lot)

2. Shorter grenade equip and throw times
I rarely see any grenades being used in casual, or even comp for that matter. Shorter grenade times

• Promote grenade usage, effectively getting rid of people dying repeatedly from corner campers and just campers in general
  • Raise the skill ceiling with smart grenade strats

3. Shorter smoke spread time
Who has time to wait for a smoke when you can zigzag across the map, taking 20 bullets to the chest? Reduce TTK to make running from cover scarier, and make smokes more viable.

4. Random idle sway only on low health and taking damage
Suppression is way too powerful in this game. Getting slightly shot at reduces your accuracy to shit and gets rid of your ability to focus. Being near bullets should be scary enough as it is.
There should be little to no idle sway besides when taking damage or on low health is a way to punish people for taking damage, giving actual danger to low health and getting shot, not just dying and respawning 30 sec later.

• Makes taking damage scarier

5. Heavy slowdown when being shot
No one can keep running after taking a body shot, heavy armor or not. Slowdown makes armor useful, even if it is just that one moment where you manage to get into cover before dying. This makes taking damage scarier and cover more viable. Stopping power should scale with bullet caliber, and how much shots you've taken.

6. Slower/shorter slide
The slide should be a high risk/high reward maneuver for getting into cover quickly, not a way to dodge bullets and enter buildings like a rng maniac.

• Balances game

7. Debuff crouch and buff attachments
Crouching is all accurate as hell. Why use attachments when you can just hit one button?

• Balances game
  • Promotes smart point usage

Thats all I can think of rn. Hopefully some people agree and changes are made.

last edited by pieck

@pieck
Make the game suitable for competitive - Kill the casual community.

Make the game fun for casual players - Kill the competitive scene.

Pick one.

1. I find the overall lack of horizontal recoil a big issue. Add a compensator to pretty much any assault rifle in the game you you will experience pretty much 0 horizontal recoil in full auto/burst or single fire. I think that the absence is the issue in that regard.

2. This is not skill related to me at all. Quick grenade throw is not something that will raise the skill I see the opposite here. Like this it is a carefree throw and forget option without putting too much effort or skill into decision making.

3. Smoke is not a magical get out of jail/or dont go to jail card.

4. I think there is less punishment for being suppressed, I think we need aimpunch if a player is suppressed or if he gets hit.

5. This is not a realism simulator. I think that the TTK should be lower so you and the acceleration to full speed should also be lowered. You should die faster and not be physically able to get out of situations with the current speed.

6. I think slide is fine apart from the third person animation is dodgy and makes people hard to hit.

7. Crouching is fine in my book. If you try to move while crouching you are slower and a easier target.

@mefirst said in This game is not suitable for comp play.:

1. I find the overall lack of horizontal recoil a big issue. Add a compensator to pretty much any assault rifle in the game you you will experience pretty much 0 horizontal recoil in full auto/burst or single fire. I think that the absence is the issue in that regard.

2. This is not skill related to me at all. Quick grenade throw is not something that will raise the skill I see the opposite here. Like this it is a carefree throw and forget option without putting too much effort or skill into decision making.

3. Smoke is not a magical get out of jail/or dont go to jail card.

4. I think there is less punishment for being suppressed, I think we need aimpunch if a player is suppressed or if he gets hit.

5. This is not a realism simulator. I think that the TTK should be lower so you and the acceleration to full speed should also be lowered. You should die faster and not be physically able to get out of situations with the current speed.

6. I think slide is fine apart from the third person animation is dodgy and makes people hard to hit.

7. Crouching is fine in my book. If you try to move while crouching you are slower and a easier target.

I'm not against horizontal recoil, it just needs to be predictable.
I'm suggesting faster grenade equip and throw times to make grenades more appealing, at this point they take too long to set up and are not usable in combat, so most people don't even bother.
Smokes shouldn't be OP, but they should be useful
Aimpunch is fine, but the loss of focus and aim stability isn't. We shouldn't reward players for missing.
The reason devs made TTK longer was to make Heavy Armor useful, a tagging system effectively lowers TTK while giving armour its use. Simply lowering TTK is fine in my book if the devs want it.
Crouch is still OP for campers.

@quadsword said in This game is not suitable for comp play.:

@pieck
Make the game suitable for competitive - Kill the casual community.

Make the game fun for casual players - Kill the competitive scene.

Pick one.

The game can still be competitive while appealing to more casual oriented players. Raise the skill ceiling while keeping the skill floor low. CS:GO does it just fine.

@pieck Ehh... in my experience, it's next to impossible to make both groups of people happy.

That being said, however, I actually do like a few of your suggestions, like reducing the time to equip grenades. Flashbangs and fire grenades would be super useful for delaying pushes and escaping from bad situations if you could pull them out and use them quicker.

I'd honestly prefer if the game maintained a casual feeling. Competitive Insurgency doesn't sound very appealing to me but I'm sure they could potentially find middle ground between the player base. I'm just confident that most of the player base is in the majority for a casual experience.

What is great with competitive insurgency is that it is difficult to come by something similar. Also, playing competitively is great for a game that focuses on immersion. When you actually care about not dying, dying becomes something you actually want to avoid. Not just a minor inconvenience.

@pieck said in This game is not suitable for comp play.:

The comp scene for sandstorm is a mess rn. RnG makes it hard for a skilled player to land skilled shots or a smart player to make smart plays.

1. Predictable horizontal sway pattern
If your gonna give me parkinson's give me somewhat predictable parkinson's. Sway pattern should be mostly horizontal, controllable if the player is skilled enough, and should only appear when spraying. As of currently its completely unpredictable and promotes spraying and large mags, not well placed shots and marksmanship. A player who can get good shots should be able to get good shots. Intentional headshots in this game are non-existent at this point.

• Raises the skill ceiling (by a lot)

2. Shorter grenade equip and throw times
I rarely see any grenades being used in casual, or even comp for that matter. Shorter grenade times

• Promote grenade usage, effectively getting rid of people dying repeatedly from corner campers and just campers in general
  • Raise the skill ceiling with smart grenade strats

3. Shorter smoke spread time
Who has time to wait for a smoke when you can zigzag across the map, taking 20 bullets to the chest? Reduce TTK to make running from cover scarier, and make smokes more viable.

4. Random idle sway only on low health and taking damage
Suppression is way too powerful in this game. Getting slightly shot at reduces your accuracy to shit and gets rid of your ability to focus. Being near bullets should be scary enough as it is.
There should be little to no idle sway besides when taking damage or on low health is a way to punish people for taking damage, giving actual danger to low health and getting shot, not just dying and respawning 30 sec later.

5. Heavy slowdown when being shot
No one can keep running after taking a body shot, heavy armor or not. Slowdown makes armor useful, even if it is just that one moment where you manage to get into cover before dying. This makes taking damage scarier and cover more viable. Stopping power should scale with bullet caliber, and how much shots you've taken.

6. Slower/shorter slide
The slide should be a high risk/high reward maneuver for getting into cover quickly, not a way to dodge bullets and enter buildings like a rng maniac.

• Balances game

7. Debuff crouch and buff attachments
Crouching is all accurate as hell. Why use attachments when you can just hit one button?

• Balances game
  • Promotes smart point usage

Thats all I can think of rn. Hopefully some people agree and changes are made.

1. Agree, the horizontal recoil needs to be reworked.

2. There is nothing really wrong with this but the biggest issue is you have to stop running to throw the nade. You have to be walking to throw the nade. In source, if you started to throw a nade it would slow you down to a walk from your run.

Experienced players use grenades all the time. Hell, a lot of us already know prenades and smoke/flash strats.

I think that a lot of players are new and aren't used to these types of things but from more experienced players you'll see this happen. Especially from comp players like myself.

1. Ehh... you should have to plan the smoke. Right now for smoke strats we know how long itll take to deploy so we just throw it 5 seconds before we need to be there.

2. 100% agree

3. 100% agree

4. 100% agree

5. I have no preference here but I don't mind the current system. I think supply point cost needs to be tweaked but I know it is.

last edited by Link