will SANDSTORM be affected by this?

This is an interesting thought man

@thenickgann said in will SANDSTORM be affected by this?:

This is an interesting thought man

and a horrible thing for FPS (and other) games,if its true...

this legal thing has been in my mind for while, i probably found out about this from WAY back when counter strike games still use the CV-47 name for the AK.

maybe a slight altercation to the model and names would make this possible?

This really sounds like bs to me. Companies knew that all the time. BF4 released when, 2k13? Do you think that 4 years ago, lawyers didn't know about this? Well...

Also, modern combat games release all the time. What about Far Cry 5? Nearly 100 modern weapons ingame. Also Humvees and stuff. It's just about the money. They want to sell you a license. And big companies are able to afford it. Even to lock it (NFS held the Porsche license exclusively for at least 6 years.)

Bluedrake mentions how there are no longer HMMWV's in Squad, I went into Squad, checked it, nope... still there, it's just map-specific and the devs listened to the playerbase requesting the Oshkosh MATV

But I don't see how that would affect Sandstorm, as it's free promotion for gun-companies to have their weapons in games

@mainfold said in will SANDSTORM be affected by this?:

I don't see how that would affect Sandstorm, as it's free promotion for gun-companies to have their weapons in games

INDEED! Free promotion! I wish NWI does not have any issues with the weapons in-game.

I recall a gun nut wondering why the USP being popular. I wonder why :D.

@paysen said in will SANDSTORM be affected by this?:

This really sounds like bs to me. Companies knew that all the time. BF4 released when, 2k13? Do you think that 4 years ago, lawyers didn't know about this? Well...

Also, modern combat games release all the time. What about Far Cry 5? Nearly 100 modern weapons ingame. Also Humvees and stuff. It's just about the money. They want to sell you a license. And big companies are able to afford it. Even to lock it (NFS held the Porsche license exclusively for at least 6 years.)

That could even potentially be worse... imagine if some big shot publisher bought the exclusive license rights to Colt guns or something. Kind of hard to depict modern warfare properly if you aren't allowed to use AR-15 pattern rifle designs...

Or I could be full of bullshit. I'm not sure.

you care to give a tldr? I can't be arsed watching some lengthy video.
Also the last decent battlefield game was battlefield 2. 3 and 4 are cod wannabes with vehicles thrown in. Even bfbc2 was more of a tribute to BF2 than the newer titles.

If going from the title then Sandstorm is modern. You don't see terrorists using jump jet packs and graviton boots to scale buildings and fly about do you? no stealth cloaking devices or neutron shields, no void guns, none of that kack.

@paysen said in will SANDSTORM be affected by this?:

Sorry but FC5 doesn't have nearly 100 modern weapons in game, it has a handful sure but none of them have the real world counterpart names and that's how a lot of companies get away without paying a licence to the arms manufacturer and licence holder, change a few details, don't use the real world name, boom.
The desert eagle .50 is not called the Desert Eagle .50 in FC5, it's called the DC50, also they made changes to the firearm to include a rail interface and they changed the magazine capacity and they changed the engraved lettering on the upper half to remove IMI and DESERT EAGLE.50 so it's not a exact replica.

last edited by Depleted

@snuffeldjuret I own a USP solely because of its appearance in the darkness of Shadow Moses. I wasn't old enough to buy or afford guns at the time, but I said the minute I could buy one the first one I got would be a USP.

This has been a thing for a loooooooooong time. It's the primary reason why guns have been called some made-up name in many games for as long as I can remember. Who remembers the Klobb, D5K Deutsche, or KF7 Soviet from Goldeneye? A few games have gone out and licensed designs from firearm manufacturers (SWAT4 did this, for example).

@mrwon said in will SANDSTORM be affected by this?:

@snuffeldjuret I own a USP solely because of its appearance in the darkness of Shadow Moses.

My childhood love affair with the USP started with this:

alt text

It's been a sad realization in my adult life that H&K are better at marketing than they are at gun design.

@maa_bunny said in [will SANDSTORM be affected by this?]

My childhood love affair with the USP started with this:

.....now I feel old. My childhood favorite was the 1911 and still is as an owner / fan.