Unnecessary sharp edges on the sides of the Wide Flatbed Semi-Trailer (FIXED IN 7.2)

So the trailer is made of 2 pieces, but the top piece is slightly narrower which creates an unnecessary sharp edge on the side of the trailer that catches onto stuff like trees, poles, buildings, etc when driven forward:
Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.27 - 18.31.08.79x.jpg
If you could make the top part as wide as the bottom part the edge would be gone and the trailer would become so much more pleasant to drive with:
Desktop Screenshot 2020.07.27 - 18.32.46.09z.png

last edited by Amynue

The design adds a layer of challenge as you have to really plan your routes well. You can't just cut through trees and "hope for the best" that you'll squeeze through. But at least you have winch points, some trailers have none.

@CanuckRunner said in Unnecessary sharp edges on the sides of the Wide Flatbed Semi-Trailer:

The design adds a layer of challenge as you have to really plan your routes well.

Yeah, it was probably designed by the same genius who designed Azov's 73210 front end.

If it was a special trailer that's exclusively used for a contract that is meant to be hard (like Coiled Tubing Semi-Trailer, Construction Rig Semi-Trailer, etc.) then that would be fine, but it's a trailer that will now be purchasable from the Trailer Store and it should look apealing when compared to the rest of 5-slot cargo haulers in the store. The bad news is that even with smoth sides it doesn't look very appealing. It's the biggest and the heaviest of the 5-slot trailers. It's masive when compared to the regular 5-slot flatbed and even stepdeck which used to be the biggest, now looks small in comparison:alt text
alt text
alt text
alt text
On top of that, you can't even reach the cargo area with the small crane when the trailer is attached, so loading longer cargo types without detaching the trailer might be a problem.
alt text

Heavy trucks have been colecting dust for way too long, let them have a decent 5-slot trailer. Real tired of seeing only Tayga/Voron/Azov in every coop session I join.

@Amynue
This is a small crane it is not meant to reach more than that, if you want to absolutly load manualy, well unhook the trailer then load or have a truck with a heavy crane near by.

Also when it come to the trailer design, this is something you can have on real trailer and sometimes even worse given how wide your trailer is.

last edited by Raphael

@Amynue You can't associate this trailer with the ones listed because those trailers are for lighter duty use. They are also all low saddle trailers. If you want to compare apples to apples, get out the heavy duty low-boy and compare them side to side. Lastly, I see you failed to bring out the red gooseneck trailer that has the same principal design as the new heavy flat deck. It's not uncommon to see trailers with slim points for coupling then widen out to carry the weight. This is especially evident when hauling large excavators or other earth-moving equipment. Sure you can haul 5-slot regular cargo with the new trailer but keep in mind its purpose is for transporting over-sized cargo that's beyond what a standard lighter duty trailer can provide. Having more choice in the game is never a bad thing.

@CanuckRunner said in Unnecessary sharp edges on the sides of the Wide Flatbed Semi-Trailer:

You can't associate this trailer with the ones listed because those trailers are for lighter duty use. They are also all low saddle trailers.

The problem is, it's a video game and it means nothing. All those trailers are 5-slot and thats all that matters from game-design perspective, it's not like the small flatbed will break in half when you'll load it full of steel. Every truck in the game that can use low saddle can also use high saddle, so again - meaningless.

If you want to compare apples to apples, get out the heavy duty low-boy and compare them side to side.

Why would I compare a 5-slot flatbed to a 3-slot trailer dedicated to transporting vehicles...

Lastly, I see you failed to bring out the red gooseneck trailer that has the same principal design as the new heavy flat deck.

You mean that 4-slot vehicle transporter that nobody uses to transport cargo? Ok, lets compare.
While both trailers have the same sharp edge on the side, the gooseneck isn't wider than even the narrowest low-saddle-capable truck in the game, so it's not a problem. Wide Flatbed on the other hand is wider than every high-saddle-capable truck in the game (maybe except for P16) and the sharp edge on the side becomes a problem since you can't go by the if-truck-fits-trailer-fits rule like on the gooseneck.
Compared✔

As we are discussing trailers - has anyone noticed an influence of the trailer specific axle weight on offroad performance?

Look at the gooseneck 3 slot high saddle trailer - huge tires and "a lot of these". Its more difficult to tow it through terrain than the 5 slot flatbed. The new 5 slot high saddle is so heavy by itself, thats the same. And even with standard-trailers, the 4 axle 2-slot is worse than its 2 slot 2 axle sibling.

I have expected, that "more and big tires" lower ground pressure, so its not sinking in that much and works better. I feel "being wrong".

last edited by JTT

@Amynue said in Unnecessary sharp edges on the sides of the Wide Flatbed Semi-Trailer:

The problem is, it's a video game and it means nothing. All those trailers are 5-slot and thats all that matters from game-design perspective, it's not like the small flatbed will break in half when you'll load it full of steel. Every truck in the game that can use low saddle can also use high saddle, so again - meaningless.

You choose to create this topic so don't back peddle on the principal that just because "its a video game" that balance shouldn't exist. The point was you elected to compare three low saddle variants to the new high saddle trailer but failed to include the one that had similarities, design wise, that you have issue with which is the wide deck with a narrower king pin base. Just because a trailer carries 5-slots, that makes it the first/best choice?

Why would I compare a 5-slot flatbed to a 3-slot trailer dedicated to transporting vehicles...

Because they are both high saddle trailers and their overall scale and size will better correlate with one another rather than with any of the low saddle trailers.

You mean that 4-slot vehicle transporter that nobody uses to transport cargo? Ok, lets compare.
While both trailers have the same sharp edge on the side, the gooseneck isn't wider than even the narrowest low-saddle-capable truck in the game, so it's not a problem. Wide Flatbed on the other hand is wider than every high-saddle-capable truck in the game (maybe except for P16) and the sharp edge on the side becomes a problem since you can't go by the if-truck-fits-trailer-fits rule like on the gooseneck.
Compared✔

The gooseneck certainly isn't as capable as some other models but it has its own advantages. You also chose to include a picture of you carrying the smallest portion of cargo from that task you were doing. I'd like to see how far you get with the other pieces using that 5-slot step-deck.

Really sounds like you didn't like getting stuck on that one tree. But that trailer will be the least or your worry's when you attempt to haul bigger cargo.

last edited by CanuckRunner

This has been fixed in the 7.2 update, but it's not listed in the patch notes. Thank you! Time to dust off Pacific and Kolob trucks 🙂

@Amynue yeah sorry, forgot to mention, model was tweaked per your feedback

So I thought about leaving this one alone but I don't appreciate being thrown under the bus when it wasn't necessary. So with that said, I expect Saber to revise the existing models for the large cargo trailers (Construction Rig, Large Coil-tube) to match the change made here.

Again, you can't bend the rules for one and not the rest. Make them all consistent.

Cool down, its a good start ....

@JTT

I thought the same, but it seems the trailers with more wheels also have a lower deck height. The trailer is bottoming out in 2" of mud and you are dragging it. Those trailers are designed for road use.

I wonder if the physics engine there "needs" a tweak. The drag resistance of a trailer at any angle should be proportional to its weight and angle (force of gravity) as well as ground pressure with load of its wheels influencing its drag.

Normally bigger wheels with quite some surface but a low ground pressure should result in "less sink in" and a lower drag coefficient. Have messed a bit in "drowned lands" with some trailers and didnt found that assumption verified. Rather than its "geometry" and "hitting ground / obstacles".

Has someone found a job the high saddle can do, but the standard flatbed cant?

last edited by JTT

@JTT said in Unnecessary sharp edges on the sides of the Wide Flatbed Semi-Trailer (FIXED IN 7.2):

Has someone found a job the high saddle can do, but the standard flatbed cant?

For now it is only oversized cargo in US that should be done ONLY by high saddle.
New trailer is good for heavy trucks that are high saddle only (like Kolobs and Pacifics). Before they were completely useless. With new 5U trailer they become "less useless" and can be used for some heavy deliveries on very difficult terrain (Kolobs have a very high tire rating and P16 has cheat tires). At the same time it does not mean that heavy trucks became useful. You still can do most of the 5U deliveries with good saddle low truck.
Just heavy trucks got better option at least for something except for a few contracts.

I share the same impression. Would be nice if the physics would be a bit closer to "reality" with especially the ground pressure of the trailer tires affecting drag resistance. Or a trailer somehow "hauled with its frame through the mud" had a way larger resistance than one where only the tires are dug in.

There is typically a reason why offroad trailers have broad & large tires as well as a remarkable ground clearance.

last edited by JTT