PTS 6.3 Update Fixed it | Saber removed the old steering and replaced it with 2 new options. Instead of keeping the old one

So I had a look at the steering input.

On live (on PC), you have

• Auto Center steering, the auto centering goes rather slow. (I like this, I have used this for 2 months) (This is the preferred option for Mouse/Keyboard)

On PTS you have

• Non Arcade: Steering does not autocenter at all.
  • Arcade: Auto center steering, however, it auto centers at a much higher speed.

Both these options will VASTLY increase keyboard input to stay on the desired line, compared to whats currently on Live.
Arcade, you will have to spam A or D in order to make bigger radius turns, Non- Arcade will constantly force you to spam A or D to straighten out the wheels. Straightening out the wheels will be a headache.

So where did the steering mode go that I have used for the past 2 months? Look its fine you want to add options, HOWEVER do NOT remove stuff that has been in the game for 2 months and isnt broken!

PTS 6.3 30/06 UPDATE

@Jellyfoosh said in PTS Patch Notes 30/06:

Further steering mode improvements: Instead of arcade/simulator modes you can now can choose between gamepad/wheel. Controls on keyboard will stay as they were on release

I did a little test, here is the video. I only used Keyboard to test the different settings. Steering auto centering is now back to what we had on 5.0 Live. The 2 different steering settings Gamepad/Wheel seem to have NO effect whilst using a mouse/keyboard.

Youtube Video

last edited by 1nsane

Agree
I think there should be all 3 options available. "Slow-auto-centering" is a great compromise between these new options and i personally think it feels the best (at least when playing on a keyboard)

I gave the new "quick center" a try with gamecontroller - better than before. On keyboard with no "center" you are likely right having two "speed" modes for centering back.

Your analysis is correct. And it rather deters me from further testing the PTS. I just posted my review over on gen feedback and explained the steering issue between PS4 and PC and now this implementation seems to try and bridge the gap but in the wrong ways.

Current live game PC steering is fine and should be left as is. If Saber wants to explore a new feature to please early console users who had a "classic" like steering mechanic, give the option for legacy auto-centering as it was when the game launched. But steering responsiveness and especially speed should not change.

A slider for autocentering factor could be a good solution for everyone to adjust to their liking.

Even in Non arcade mode steering sometimes still has a bug that causes wheels to center. It is most likely comes from the conflict with the keyboard and inability of the game to determine primary device correctly.
I don't know why the programmers try to "invent the bicycle again" in this field. Just list detected devices and let the user choose the primary. Even such cool games like Dirt Rally 2.0 do this. Why they think their auto-detection mechanism will work better, when it fails continuously, nobody knows. Just make it simple and straight forward - manual selection of the primary device and mandatory calibration.

last edited by Tigron

Yeah.... devs... please leave pc steering as it is in version 5.1!

@Nona Never ever! It is as bad for steering wheel as it is. For steering wheels there should be no auto centering.

Please do not change the actual steering for keyboard and mouse! For the wheel you can do whatever you want as i dont care but dont broke a perfect steering keyboard/mouse!

Yeah, this change is pretty rough for k&m. Just driving from one map to another map in a scout is a workout with the constant steering adjustments.

Can we have a third options? Please devs? Make a choice to use the current mechanism.... It's just perfect for Keyboard and Mouse, which is what most players use.

No wonder it feels weird to drive in 6.1. It is still not possible to change the data of the steering wheel to return to the center. It turned out to be intentional by the developer. This is not good.. I have Logitech g27 but I snow Mercedes. I still like to use the keyboard to play👻

PTS 6.3 30/06 UPDATE

@Jellyfoosh said in PTS Patch Notes 30/06:

Further steering mode improvements: Instead of arcade/simulator modes you can now can choose between gamepad/wheel. Controls on keyboard will stay as they were on release

I did a little test, here is the video. I only used Keyboard to test the different settings. Steering auto centering is now back to what we had on 5.0 Live. The 2 different steering settings Gamepad/Wheel seem to have NO effect whilst using a mouse/keyboard.

Youtube Video

"Controls on keyboard will stay as they were on release"
I think the answer is in your quote.

@Raphael

Just because they claim the fixed something doesnt actually mean they fixed it!

@1nsane what is not fixed in you opinion? steering wheel mode is made for ... steering wheels

gamepad mode for gamepad

keyboard works same way independent on the chosen mode

last edited by esorokin

@esorokin I didnt say its not fixed, hence why i said "Steering auto centering is now back to what we had on 5.0 Live."

Keyboard seems to work all the same, doest amatter what you pick now gamepad or wheel, there is no difference

last edited by 1nsane

@dahaka said in PTS 6.3 Update Fixed it | Saber removed the old steering and replaced it with 2 new options. Instead of keeping the old one:

Can we have a third options? Please devs? Make a choice to use the current mechanism.... It's just perfect for Keyboard and Mouse, which is what most players use.

What? From where you get this info?

@Agnolini I don't have this info. I'm asking for this feature.