Software requirements and recommendations

If I wanted to make my own mod from scratch (or by editing an existing model from somewhere like 3dWarehouse) what software will I need? Is 3DSMax the only modeling tool we can use to import/export the mesh files, or are there other similarly functional programs like Blender that would work? If it's 3DSMax or nothing, what version would I need and where could I find it? I don't want to pirate anything, so free is good wherever possible since I don't want to make a big monetary investment in something I may not pursue..
A lot of this stuff has probably been addressed in various Spintires forums, etc. but I'd like to have as much updated info as possible...
I might be getting in over my head, but I'm going to give it the old college try and see what happens...
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/tutorials/help anyone can offer. 🙂

@mexican_420, You can use Blender if you know it. If not you should go for Max as it seems better/easier to use. It was for me anyway when I learned it. There is also a very good spring weight tool to do springs that's not available for Blender. It makes a huge difference. Blender is free tho but you can get the student version of Max for free, as well, to use for 3 years. You just think of a school near you and use that. You don't need ID or anything, just a school name. I've been doing it for a few years now. I like 2014 but you can get 2018 now and it seems good. I just don't like the changes they made to it.

last edited by Tattoo

Opps, I forgot to give you the link to Max. Sorry

3ds Max Student Version

@Tattoo
Thanks again man, but I think I'm in a little over my head here...
I got 3DSMax 2018 but honestly haven't got a clue what I'm doing with it...
Watched a few tutorials, but they all reference older versions with procedures and menus that no longer exist, and plugins that aren't compatible with anything current...
I even checked out the IK tutorial you did, but was lost in the first 2 mins or less lol
As cool as it would be to make my own mod of my old truck in game, I just don't think I have the knowledge or the free time to gain that knowledge in order to pull it off... sadface

@mexican_420, Yes, it does have a high learning curve.

@mexican_420, What are you wanting to make? Maybe I can help.

@mexican_420 said in Vehicles you would like to see In-Game:

2002 Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy...
I had a grey 4-dr Blazer "The Bone Collector" with 2-inch lift and 31" mud tires, but was never brave enough to trail it in case I broke something important/expensive (it was also my daily back & forth to work so I couldn't take any chances) but if I could do it virtually in Mudrunner it would be good fun... 🙂

33's would've fit with the lift and still clear fenders... 🙂

Do you have a picture of it?

Kinda like this?
alt text

last edited by Tattoo

Yessir, just like that one only gray (grey?)
Had the text from Michael Waddell's Bone Collector across the top edge of the rear windshield...

@Tattoo
If you build my truck I'll never forgive you... 😉
Seriously though, I'm grateful for all the help and info and tips and everything you guys have given me. I have a better understanding of how complex this stuff can get, and I applaud all you modders for taking so much of your own time and energy to produce quality mods for us plebs... 😃