General Feedback on the 1.2 CTE

Hey everyone at NWI! I've got some stuff I really love, and some minor qualms with the update.

[First off], I'll give some feedback on the Hardcore mode. I LOVE hardcore gameplay and really have been looking for something like you're testing. I really like the lack of HUD and more realistic AI, it makes for some fun and tense gameplay on smaller pop servers. With a squad of friends communicating, there is nothing more fun than this mode.

Unfortunately, the mode really begins to fall apart on fuller servers. The amount of randomness to the gamemode when there are that many very intelligent AI becomes a big problem, and you almost always get torn to pieces by three nades from three angles or three AKs pushing three doors. This would be fine, assuming you would be able to spawn, and get some semblance of a proper weapon to deal with the hordes of heavy armor wearing MG wielding enemies.

If you spawn with a mosin and a makarov, and weapons on bodies go away after a matter of seconds, you can't exactly get a better weapon other than rushing to an ammo box in enemy territory, or getting stuck on a section without an ammo box. The ammo boxes you find disappearing is very irritating as well, as it leaves you high and dry on caps without boxes.

I really like the idea of the disadvantage if you die, but the firerate of a mosin and the lack of armor penetration with the makarov makes it near impossible to get back into the game and not die again. That means you sit there for 15 minutes in spec cam while your team pushes. This gets frustrating.

An unmodded SMG or semi auto weapon with limited ammo would perhaps be better suited, something that would be enough for a bad situation or two without getting your head smashed in.

Also, the movespeed when heavily loaded is comically slow. I think a 10-20% boost to movement speed across the board, or perhaps a slight equalization in HC. It would still force players to move slow, but not make it comical and require the new (and rough) animations. The movement speed lowering is great, and forces people to work together and talk rather than run and gun solo. I should not run at alt walk speed because I carry an M3 MAAWS, though.

[Second] , the new 12.7 and .50BMG weapons. They're in a pretty rough state, and deserve to be beaten with nerf bats. I'll
PROS
You can shoulder and fire a 12.7 just as well as an SKS or a G3.
You can go on MLG pro 360 noscope rampages with the laser sight and there is really no defense against it.
It is good at CQC, it is spectacular at extreme range, long range, and medium range.
It has very high object penetration.
It is semi auto and has easily controllable recoil from shoulder and hip.
You can lift and shoulder a .50 BMG rifle the length of a pool noodle, and swing it around corners like it was a pistol, with little sway or sight misalignment.
It 2 shots vehicles and can go thru the armor plate on techies, while the normal DShK rounds cannot.
It can one and 2 shot helis.

(Sidenote, how do Insurgents somehow have access to high power high tech US anti-material rifles in significant numbers, and why are they using them within like, 150m?)

CONS
Slightly more points than a realistic rifle for the sniper class.
You move 2mph slower.

My suggestions? make the recoil and sight misalignment greater if unsupported, even firing single shots. Force the player to be prone and be prepared for an engagement for them to come out on top.

Remove the laser sight from both guns. The COD 360 noscope market is big, but it will also destroy your game's community.
Remove the extended mag. There is no reason you would need more than 10 rounds of .50.

[Third]
Try your best to get a sense of the playerbase, and try to ask meaningful questions from real players, not just polls.
Data is a great tool, but it is not always an accurate depiction of your real playerbase's wants and needs. Loud angry people tend to drown out the more serious and reasoned individuals, who can give you real useful information and insights. Try to find the latter.
Ask experienced players what they love and hate, play with some random people in public games and ask questions, ask brand new players in games their first impressions, and don't try to appease the yellers. They won't stop yelling and are never satisfied.

I LOVE the new map, and it's a real joy to play. My only issue with it are all the avenues of attack makes the caps very hard to defend, but that may get better as I learn the spots. If it becomes a problem, you'll know before I do. Happy to see where you guys take this game, and it's really starting to feel like a modern Ins 2014 multiplied by 10.

@Bobondacob Some good stuff here. I'll just talk about a few points.

@Bobondacob said in General Feedback on the 1.2 CTE:

The amount of randomness to the gamemode when there are that many very intelligent AI becomes a big problem, and you almost always get torn to pieces by three nades from three angles or three AKs pushing three doors. This would be fine, assuming you would be able to spawn, and get some semblance of a proper weapon to deal with the hordes of heavy armor wearing MG wielding enemies.

Well, I still think the Mosin allows you to counter this. My word of advice with the Makarov, however, is just to never use the damn thing. If you have to, go for headshots.

...weapons on bodies go away after a matter of seconds...

I don't think they do, though. Now, the bodies disappear fast if you have low settings, like me, but the weapons generally stay for a bit.

Still, you get a good amount of ammo for the Mosin, as 25 rounds with that gun could easily get 25 kills.

...you can't exactly get a better weapon other than rushing to an ammo box in enemy territory, or getting stuck on a section without an ammo box. The ammo boxes you find disappearing is very irritating as well, as it leaves you high and dry on caps without boxes.

What exactly are you referring to? I refer to the big boxes as "Resupply Boxes" and the smaller ammo crates as "small ammo box" or something.

I do know that the small ammo boxes do despawn after each objective capture, though, which is annoying. Still, if you stick with semi-auto you usually get enough ammo off of the boxes to continue fighting until you find another resupply box.

I really like the idea of the disadvantage if you die, but the firerate of a mosin and the lack of armor penetration with the makarov makes it near impossible to get back into the game and not die again.

Makarov, sure, but I love the Mosin. Really, what gets me killed is the AI deciding that they're just gonna fuck my shit up without giving me any chance in hell of fighting back.

An unmodded SMG or semi auto weapon with limited ammo would perhaps be better suited..

The thing is, though, I feel like that would take away the challenge a bit. At least, an AKM or M16 would be far too good to spawn in with. Something like an SMG could work, though.

Also, the movespeed when heavily loaded is comically slow. I think a 10-20% boost to movement speed across the board, or perhaps a slight equalization in HC.

I don't really have a problem with the movement speed, but it's definitely slower than even Ins2014's move speed. I'm definitely down for a 15% speed boost to match Ins2014 run speeds.

...the new 12.7 and .50BMG weapons. They're in a pretty rough state, and deserve to be beaten with nerf bats.

I actually think they need some buffs. They're honestly the worst Marksman weapons you can currently acquire. My biggest reason for this is the firing delay that essentially means you have to lead moving targets even at hitscan ranges. Also, while the damage is good, it really isn't good enough. You can't add in AMRs and have them fail to kill people hiding behind destroyed cars or trash cans.

You can shoulder and fire a 12.7 just as well as an SKS or a G3.

Well, no. The ADS speed is far slower, and the recoil is much higher. It also takes longer to perform ammo checks. Also, the firing delay will cause you to miss easy shots.

You can go on MLG pro 360 noscope rampages with the laser sight and there is really no defense against it.
Remove the laser sight from both guns. The COD 360 noscope market is big, but it will also destroy your game's community.

I could agree on this one, honestly. I'm assuming the rifle wasn't made for CQB, but the laser sight makes it pretty viable.

...it is spectacular at extreme range, long range, and medium range.

I mean, fucking hell it should be lmao. Still, I'd argue an SVD outclasses it, generally.

It is semi auto and has easily controllable recoil from shoulder and hip.

Easily controllable? Hel the fuck no it's not easily controllable. Your screen takes like one and a half seconds to lower back down after firing one shot.

You can lift and shoulder a .50 BMG rifle the length of a pool noodle, and swing it around corners like it was a pistol, with little sway...

Well, if you couldn't, it wouldn't feel very Insurgency-esque. It has pretty harsh sway, though, especially while suppressed.

It 2 shots vehicles and can go thru the armor plate on techies, while the normal DShK rounds cannot.
It can one and 2 shot helis.

Depends on where you hit, of course. That being said, the tech guns are pretty garbage at actually destroying vehicles.

I've also recently found out that basically, any gun can take down helicopters. I dropped a heli with five shots of a FAL.

Force the player to be prone and be prepared for an engagement for them to come out on top.

Eh, maybe not prone, but at least deployed I could understand.

Remove the extended mag. There is no reason you would need more than 10 rounds of .50.

I love the Extended Mag, honestly. Hell, it costs about half of your supply to even equip, so I'd say it's balanced.

Try your best to get a sense of the playerbase, and try to ask meaningful questions from real players, not just polls.
Data is a great tool, but it is not always an accurate depiction of your real playerbase's wants and needs. Loud angry people tend to drown out the more serious and reasoned individuals, who can give you real useful information and insights. Try to find the latter.
Ask experienced players what they love and hate, play with some random people in public games and ask questions, ask brand new players in games their first impressions, and don't try to appease the yellers. They won't stop yelling and are never satisfied.

This is very well said, sir. I'm definitely worried NWI's listening to the wrong group of people, although they do seem to be moving more in thhe hardcore direction which I appreciate.

last edited by MarksmanMax