Sliding is realistic but a small dive is not?

I still think you should be able to perform a small dive into prone position not far forward just a small quick dive into prone. You can slide like 6 feet on your knees on pavement but you can’t dive? And on top of that if you slide on your knees you then have to hit the prone button like 3-4 times before you can lay down because you tired from sliding? Jesssuus...

I agree to the suggestion that an animation where you can diving into prone position should be integrated into this game but with one condition :
Shooting any weapon must be impossible while doing this move !

It takes too long to go into prone postion at the moment, although in reality the dropping move is very quick.
At least the time for going into prone should be decreased.

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

Honestly I'd remove the sliding all together, or significantly reduce the distance travelled.
Diving isn't a quite realistic approach either. I don't think there's anyone who'd jump onto their belly from a standing point, especially with all the gear you have on and no idea what you'd be landing on. You'd greatly increase your chance to break a bone.

@sgt-kanyo Sliding is already useless for anything other than exploits. It's just slower than normal movement, locks your gun, and has a long recovery time. You're suggesting it should be nerfed?

The slide has gotten me killed tons of times. I've said they should just remove it too

Instead of removing it NWI should unlock the weapon during sliding so that you can shoot hipfire.

I loved that feature and used that very often in the game Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter which was released 2006.

Personally, I loved the ability to hipfire while sliding. Now, the angle you could actually hipfire in was insanity (you could look like 80 degrees left or right while sliding) but it meant that if you were caught in a slide you could still fight back.

@cyoce said in Sliding is realistic but a small dive is not?:

@sgt-kanyo Sliding is already useless for anything other than exploits. It's just slower than normal movement, locks your gun, and has a long recovery time. You're suggesting it should be nerfed?

No, what I'm suggesting is not to defy the laws of physics. You slide around on your knees in game like you're on ice. Hell you wouldn't be able to slide like that on ice either, because your knees would cry out in help. I suggest you try sliding like that in real life, even on grass, and you'll see that it just makes no sense.

@sgt-kanyo said in Sliding is realistic but a small dive is not?:

No, what I'm suggesting is not to defy the laws of physics. You slide around on your knees in game like you're on ice. Hell you wouldn't be able to slide like that on ice either, because your knees would cry out in help. I suggest you try sliding like that in real life, even on grass, and you'll see that it just makes no sense.

Soldiers wear knee and elbow protectors similar to motorcyclists.
Sliding or jumping down on your knees will NOT do any harm or cause pain with such protectors.
https://www.google.com/search?q=military+knee+protectors&newwindow=1&safe=off&client=firefox-b-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=yByV6sg3VR7B3M%253A%252CDPIClK0rWX77MM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kShvwGE3U4zKo46ryfka9dLNwjI4w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjXo_7nl8bhAhXq6eAKHXfyDlIQ9QEwA3oECAgQCA&biw=1408&bih=637#imgrc=yByV6sg3VR7B3M:

Youtube Video

I've slid into cover many times on grass, dirt, and concrete; both wearing knee pads and not. It's absolutely realistic. You can fire while doing it too, but not accurately.

I've never dived though. It would be a pretty painful experience with most gear layouts, and it's not a good way to end up in a stable fighting position. It might be a good way to avoid being blown up, but I've never had to worry about that.

@maa_bunny said in Sliding is realistic but a small dive is not?:

I've slid into cover many times on grass, dirt, and concrete; both wearing knee pads and not. It's absolutely realistic. You can fire while doing it too, but not accurately.

I've never dived though. It would be a pretty painful experience with most gear layouts, and it's not a good way to end up in a stable fighting position. It might be a good way to avoid being blown up, but I've never had to worry about that.

In real life?
Because in that case, you're either lying, or lying.
No way anyone would land on their knees. It's simple physics and human anatomy...
What I can imagine is on grass you can kind of arrive on your ass, but it'd require you to balance yourself with your arms.

But honestly I don't really care if it's in game or not, since I can always simply not use the slide feature lol.

In real life?

Yes, in real life, wearing combat gear and holding a rifle. I usually end up on both knees with my ass resting on my heels.

In general, when I worked as training cadre for MOUT, we avoided any unrecoverable action.

This means, that at any point, you should be able to see that you're about to get into a bad situation, and have control to pull back out.

It's why we generally try to avoid jumping through windows or vaulting over stuff, it exposes one to a large area that may not be cleared, and may not be easy to get back out if there is danger.

That said, I really hated the slide mechanic, especially how the bots could slide and headshot, in the last game.

I'm glad that in this one, at least I'm not accidentally sliding 20 feet when I try to crouch at the end of a sprint 😃

This post is deleted!

@maa_bunny Sliding on grass sure especially if it’s moist but the rest you weren’t sliding 10 feet or efficiently. And glad you have never had to dive I’m happy for you your alive and still here. But if you were walking in a field or similar on patrol or something IRL and started getting shot at your telling me your not going to hit the dirt? Dive? Do what ever the fuck you need to to get down and not get shot? You clearly haven’t been in a situation as I just described which is why your still here cause in that situation you go ahead and slide...!

@planetcanada Concrete is the best for sliding, especially with knee pads. 10 feet is certainly plausible then. On grass and dirt the distance tends to be shorter. Sliding into cover, for me at least, has never been about covering lots of distance or moving more quickly (you don't). It's all about getting lower sooner so you are more concealed as you enter cover.

To me going prone rapidly is not a dive. When I think of diving I think of a forward jump, like doing a belly flop onto the ground. There are several ways to prone out in place very quickly without hurting yourself.

This is a historic US soldier training video.
At these times the soldiers dont even wear knee and ellbow protectors and they still make a divejump on the belly and do some crush on their knees.
Minute 1:32
And this just shows training !

So if you really get under fire and the bullets are whizzling around while your on a sprint from cover to cover , you can imagine how fast your going to prone in that situation , doesnt matter if it hurts or not. Avoiding getting shot is the priority !

Youtube Video

And one more video of the Chinese Army 2018 doing combat drills, jumping into prone all the time
Youtube Video

By the way, If the Chinese attack, their attack will be in small groups consisting of 2 to 3 million soldiers 😉

@gsg_9_lightning None of those are really what I would call a dive (not saying my definition is right, just clarifying terminology). They're all doing pretty standard knee-elbow-prone technique which isn't really painful at all - though it can be hard on the knees. The Army also used to teach a technique using the buttstock of the rifle to cushion a hard prone drop, though I've seen someone tear the pistol grip off an M-4 doing that before. I believe the currently favored technique is to do something that looks like a one-handed burpee with the support hand, kicking out to prone.

When I see people wanting to dive in a computer game, I tend to think of something more along the lines of this:

Youtube Video

last edited by MAA_Bunny

I'd argue that only the gunner class should have a "dive"