Preparation for MudRunner 2

I read in the last community update that there will be mention of MR2 in April.

Would it make sense to set up a separate subcategory in advance? If the game is released as a separate game in it's own right perhaps a subcategory redirecting to the new game forum (or set a category up now to make moving posts easier in the future).

I know that Focus have no duty to do so, but I would have really really liked some kind of feedback as to what features could be expected to be included in MR2 and what not. I know this opens a potential minefield and flame war from some, but I think most MR players and fans are pretty pragmatic, and it's often easier to accept disappointments if you felt you were at least involved in the discussion.

There are so many interesting things that have been discussed on forum from perspective of game ideas, that it would have been nice to see some kind of managed feature list discussion. I think the developers are excellent but the community here is awesome too, and it's rare to see both come together in a truly collaborative way. Were Focus to take this decision, I think it would result in a better game overall and certainly allows a better management of expectations as and when the release date is finally upon us.

Community managers, you want to ask us some questions? Rather than 'which is your favourite map/challenge'? How about you guys create a 'NEW feature list' and ask the community to score from 1 to 20.

Forgive me in advance if I already missed such a post. I would be happy for someone to redirect me.

Most likely the April event will give us our first details on what to expect from MR2, and if we're lucky maybe a screenshot of the game in bata, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

There is no point creating a MR2 subforum yet as a release date for the game hasn't even been announced to this point. When we can confirm the release date is likely when MR2 would get a forum. At least that's how it works with 2K. I don't know about Focus, I've only been here for Mudrunner. But I imagine it'd be the same.

To be honest Justin, my motivation for requesting this was more about being able to open a dialogue with the developers to be able to still influence some of those decisions as to what features/fixes do or don't get into the final game release.

Forums aren't the easiest to trawl through, especially when you're a developer already busy on a number of other delivery deadlines, so a separation of discussion over Mudrunner that is and MudRunner as it will be would at least help focus that attention. Anyway, I suspect you're right and this won't, although I do believe this is a shame, as the MR community is intelligent and passionate about the game and with the right level of interaction, I have no doubt that the end product would be significantly improved and moreover, the community reaction would be more positive, having participated to some extent in the final deliverable.

Solution design is dependent on requirements capture is dependent on customer feedback 😉

Hey Zoglet,

Thanks for your post and question. I confirm that MudRunner 2 will be presented to the press on April 10-11 at Focus' yearly event "What's Next". You can expect previews about the game in the weeks following the event.

It's a good idea to create a dedicated section of the forum to MR2. We'll work on that in April to have a space ready for discussion about the sequel.

About having a feature list posted on the forum, it would be cool on your side but we have to manage expectations from the community. After years of work on MudRunner, we have a relatively clear idea of the most wished features. MudRunner has been developed with them in mind and many of the most suggested features/content in this forum are planned for MudRunner 2.

But game development, as any long term project, is all about managing objectives and ressources and the team won't be able to have absolutely everything wished by players in the game at launch. Having a list of features wished by the community, but not necessarly planned in MR2, posted by a CM in this forum would set a huge amount of expectations from players, and it would potentially be deceptive.

We've already asked the community what they wanted to see in the future in our survey, and we're happy with the results as it's close to what we're working on. But we're not ready yet to publish a full list of features for MR2.

We're really looking forward to the time when we'll share more about MudRunner 2 with articles and videos, but we're not there yet. Thanks for your patience and trust me, it's for the best 🙂

cant wait to those days to come, and also to what will MR2 will have to offer to us the mod makers and player

@netheos Thanks for the response.

On the Feature list, I begrudgingly accept your position 😉

As you know, there is so much interest and passion in the game, my asking is just from a wish to get the game the best we can. I know you guys have been on the same well trodden path as we have and have a far better view of what the challenges and opportunities are with the given resource in the given timeframe. I just keep my fingers crossed, especially from the console community, that the framework is made more extensible to increase and extend the gameplay longevity.

Wishing you all the best of luck and well stocked coffee machines for the upcoming months!

last edited by zoglet

@netheos said in Preparation for MudRunner 2:

Hey Zoglet,

Thanks for your post and question. I confirm that MudRunner 2 will be presented to the press on April 10-11 at Focus' yearly event "What's Next". You can expect previews about the game in the weeks following the event.

Wooooooaaaa exited about!

@masterzone said in Preparation for MudRunner 2:

Wooooooaaaa exited about!

Exited or excited? 😉

@netheos wait, i thought that survey was about getting to know the community? not for get feedback on possible MR2.

Community Update 13/03/19 note the bold print at the bottom of the first post by @chaton

@8up-local It's a little of both I think. They just wanted to make it clear that they're not promising any features, even if they're popular in the survey. It was really just a check to see if they're going in the right direction with MR2, and possibly to get feedback for future dev including DLC's.

@8up-local said in Preparation for MudRunner 2:

@netheos wait, i thought that survey was about getting to know the community? not for get feedback on possible MR2.

Community Update 13/03/19 note the bold print at the bottom of the first post by @chaton

As @unster says above, it's always a bit of both. Gathering data about the average MudRunner player is important for us, but of course when we're listing features and asking you to choose your favorite ones, it's with the future of the MudRunner franchise, especially MudRunner 2 and its post-launch content.