Hard mode vs casual mode

@justinlynch3 said in Hard mode vs casual mode:

@masterzone said in Hard mode vs casual mode:

Sorry if I move this topic to another question but is the same argument.
What about the manual or automatic gear? I tried to play a little bit during online session but I must to start from tutorials because I don’t know the game right now.

If you click the right stick i noticed you can switch from manual to automatic and again to manual. But if you are on manual gear you have:

1+ (What is it 1+??)
R
A

But when you switch to automatic there are more numbers as 1,2,3,4,5 and the vehicle get more speed.
So I think is not a real manual gear but only a reduced gear for drive gently on some situations.
did I get it right?

1 = Low Range.
1+ = High Range.

1 (low range) also has 3 notches, I call them 1-1, 1-2, and 1-3. Most of the time you are fine in 1-3 (3rd notch), but if you ever struggle in mud you can go into 1-2 or 1-1, these are super low gears that will limit your wheel spin.

So basically, there are 3 gears in 1st gear.

That means all together manual gives you 4 speeds + reverse.

but does it? i mean gear 1 is gear 1 with three levels of throttle position highlighted, it still gives full range with the throttle.
now, i get what you mean, a lot of people look at it like gears, but it really isn't. it is just one of those "name" things like the cruise control. a cruise control holds a set speed, while throttle control (Force Accel) holds a set throttle position. in the game it is a held throttle position, not a set speed. so it actually is not a cruise control at all.

all just nit picking really and something to pass the time with to talk about i guess. lol

last edited by A Former User

1 = Low Range.
1+ = High Range.

Ok now I’m starting to understand but could I get same speed with 1+ (last gear on manual) as the fifth gear on automatic? I don’t think so.

Automatic vs manual seems only way to have a sensitive acceleration with 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 where automatic can’t do it. So manual is reduced gear velocity , as a zoom of the first gear and not a full five gears 🧐

but does it? i mean gear 1 is gear 1 with three levels of throttle position highlighted, it still gives full range with the throttle.
now, i get what you mean, a lot of people look at it like gears, but it really isn't.

When I tried to play I thought about throttling with analogic pad but the acceleration is made by buttons so you don’t have anything to throttle gently. So I think that manual gearbox is only a set of reduced gear where a throttles can be used softly.
Right now if you are using automatic gears the acceleration is “on / off”.

If I do full gass with 1+ I got a velocity and doing the same with automatic fifth gear the velocity is more different so manual and automatic are very different.

1 = Low Range.
1+ = High Range.

Ok now I’m starting to understand but could I get same speed with 1+ (last gear on manual) as the fifth gear on automatic? I don’t think so.

Automatic vs manual seems only way to have a sensitive acceleration with 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 where automatic can’t do it. So manual is reduced gear velocity , as a zoom of the first gear and not a full five gears 🧐

1+ will give most trucks what is equal to about 3rd or 4th gear when in auto. So if you got a heavy load of wood even if you are on a paved road it is worth it to shift into 1+, because 90% odds are a auto is going to stall and go back to 1st gear. A few trucks like the C-255 or LTL9000 with very powerful engines, they can generally hit a hill and climb up it in 5th from what I've experienced playing on console, but for the likes of the B-131 or Bison, or most trucks, you really want to take advance of that 1+ gear on hills.

But yes each notch in 1st gear is a reduced velocity, it's just easily to think of them as low range gears in my opinion. These can be helpful in mud if you have difficulty throttling the gas yourself. They are also helpful when looking for waypoints or locked trucks, if you ever need to go down a steep him just lock it into 1-1 or 1-2 and it limits how fast your truck will be able to roll forward, just like if you had a manual quad in real life and locked it into first gear going down a hill, it'd only roll forward so fast.

Basically, it acts as a form of engine braking.

@justinlynch3 Are the sub-gears (1-1, 1-2, 1-3) a console thing or a controller thing? That's something I never noticed when I used to use the auto. To me 1 just felt like 1st gear and nothing more. Anyway, gotta love the manual mode. It's made MR so much more fun for me. I only wish the controls menu allowed me to assign a 7th gear or buttons for sequential shifting.

last edited by Unster

@unster said in Hard mode vs casual mode:

@justinlynch3 Are the sub-gears (1-1, 1-2, 1-3) a console thing or a controller thing? That's something I never noticed when I used to use the auto. To me 1 just felt like 1st gear and nothing more. Anyway, gotta love the manual mode. It's made MR so much more fun for me. I only wish the controls menu allowed me to assign a 7th gear or buttons for sequential shifting.

I’m play on Nintendo Switch and similar to XBox or PS I’m using the clock onto the stick to switch from auto to manual.
The manual give me 1, 1+, R and come back to Auto.
But there aren’t other gears on manual so is only a reduced gears 🙂

1+ will give most trucks what is equal to about 3rd or 4th gear when in auto. So if you got a heavy load of wood even if you are on a paved road it is worth it to shift into 1+, because 90% odds are a auto is going to stall and go back to 1st gear. A few trucks like the C-255 or LTL9000 with very powerful engines, they can generally hit a hill and climb up it in 5th from what I've experienced playing on console, but for the likes of the B-131 or Bison, or most trucks, you really want to take advance of that 1+ gear on hills.

But yes each notch in 1st gear is a reduced velocity, it's just easily to think of them as low range gears in my opinion. These can be helpful in mud if you have difficulty throttling the gas yourself. They are also helpful when looking for waypoints or locked trucks, if you ever need to go down a steep him just lock it into 1-1 or 1-2 and it limits how fast your truck will be able to roll forward, just like if you had a manual quad in real life and locked it into first gear going down a hill, it'd only roll forward so fast.

Basically, it acts as a form of engine braking.

Absolutely yes!

Watch my gear nob carefully.

1-1
alt text

1-2
alt text

1-3
alt text

We are speaking about that already, the manual gear is made by:

And similar for the R but not for 1+.
I mean that the aren’t the same numbers of gears on automatic mode on the manual gear, the manual is only a selectable throttle speed or smooth throttle.
Your pictures are the same on my Nintendo switch. 🙂

last edited by masterzone

We are speaking about that already, the manual gear is made by:

And similar for the R but not for 1+.
I mean that the aren’t the same numbers of gears on automatic mode on the manual gear, the manual is only a selectable throttle speed or smooth throttle.
Your pictures are the same on my Nintendo switch. 🙂

I misunderstood Unster. I thought he said he never noticed the sub-gears before and asked if it was a console thing. I missed that he was talking about auto, which there are no sub-gears.

last edited by justinlynch3

I misunderstood Unster. I thought he said he never noticed the sub-gears before and asked if it was a console thing. I missed that he was talking about auto, which there are no sub-gears.

Don’t worry 😉 we are here for enjoy the game 🙂

Just for my curiosity, how much do you guys like a map in this game? (by a map I mean that thing hidden under F1)

If there is a thing that I really miss from ST era, it is a ST+ feature "external map". If you don't know, it made you able have permanently "opened" map on secondary screen (yes, 2nd LCD required). On that map there was an arrow for your current position and direction and icons for garage, fuel station, log kiosks and objectives.
I liked that for several reasons.

• Obviously because it was permanently visible, so it wasn't necessary to stop on each junction and check where to go.
  • It was a map. Simple as that. No rotation, no zooming, nothing, just a picture of landscape, routes, forests and rivers as you know it from paper form IRL.

I'd like to see similar solution again. If not on 2nd screen, then at least instead current semi-3D model. Just a flat picture with icons for points of interest, heightmarks, maybe even a bit more scetchy than it is now...
Something in this style:
https://pre00.deviantart.net/e54e/th/pre/i/2011/150/7/1/sketchy_cartography_brushes_by_starraven-d3a1hra.jpg
As long as we are driving old soviet trucks in the middle of nowhere, it seems to be fitting nicely, even better that current "satellite scan"...

@justinlynch3 No you understood me correctly. I never noticed the sub-gears until you pointed them out on your screenshots. Just to clarify, and this is mostly for masterzone, when I say manual I mean a real manual with individual selectable gears, not the quasi-manual which you guys refer to as the manual with the mouse-controllable stick shift. Notice in the screenshot below, in the real manual mode the game shows the selected gear and there's no picture of a stick shift with an auto option.

alt text

last edited by Unster

@sodoma I think the map is fine in MR. No real complaints. The only minor thing I don't like is that sometimes the map doesn't point north when I reload a level and I have to rotate it into position (otherwise it's hard to look at).

@Unster exactly, which is why i have never referred to it as manual shifting myself (that i know of lol). it is gear 1 or 1+. like i said before, it is just that "name game" thing. lol

@Sodoma i have never used the second screen map. never had a second screen even. lol
will say i am fine with the current map style myself and changing it to a more "drawn" map would be cool though also. imo overall it would depend on the look and layout of a new map, added with everyone being pretty much used to the current one as well. will just have to see i suppose. 🤔

last edited by A Former User

@justinlynch3 No you understood me correctly. I never noticed the sub-gears until you pointed them out on your screenshots. Just to clarify, and this is mostly for masterzone, when I say manual I mean a real manual with individual selectable gears, not the quasi-manual which you guys refer to as the manual with the mouse-controllable stick shift. Notice in the screenshot below, in the real manual mode the game shows the selected gear and there's no picture of a stick shift with an auto option.

alt text
I see. Looks only only the default in-game manual has it then.

@unster oh this drive me confuse. Are you using the external hardware instead of Nintendo switch joycon or PS pad?
I think there are differences based on device control. Because I continue to seen YouTube gameplay and the player say “reduced gear” instead of “manual gear”.
Your screenshot shows the same setting when I’m in automatic mode but you maybe use a device for control all gears.
Crazy 😝

last edited by masterzone

@sodoma said in Hard mode vs casual mode:

Just for my curiosity, how much do you guys like a map in this game? (by a map I mean that thing hidden under F1

It should be a good idea, there is al little maps on every racing game but i don’t know if is a must because the screen is filled of hud informations so you need a second monitor for it. I play on Nintendo switch and I don’t have a second screen 🙂

@8up-local Come on man, I had this for my ST map and don't tell me that you don't like it. :face_with_stuck-out_tongue_winking_eye:
0_1552824648999_THE_map_mini.jpg

I love it! I would like that map instead of satellite style! More simulated in my hopinion 🙂