Strange ADS Animation

Not sure if it's a bug or not, but I'll post it in Technical Feedback.

Youtube Video

Basically, there's a lengthy animation that plays if you collide into something while ADSing and then try to bring the sight down afterward. It's killed me hundreds of times and I feel like it's responsible for thousands of other players' deaths.

last edited by MarksmanMax

Absolutely no problem here. If you ever held a real gun, you know it takes time to align your sight. Especially with iron sights you have to align it. If you do that super fast in real life, you'll miss your alignment and it might take you even more time to align your sight.
The fact that the sniper rifles ADS in like 0.1 seconds when the bipod is deployed is the bigger problem. Especially with a high power scope, you need a lot more time to align it. It's not just a quick movement. Hell it's even hard keeping it aligned, let alone align it.

Personally i hate that the weapon rises up when getting in contact with a wall or door frame.
In reality that does not happen !

In reality the weapon stays where it is while the operator moves and the aiming point is just pushed to the side so that the aim is not longer on the intended area any longer as long as he moves into the same direction. When i see that my weapon has contact to the doorframe and i have no space to move backwards to make the barrel fit through the door i would NOT move further into the room around the corner ( which would put me in a very dangerous situation ).
So if the weapon length does not give you the freedom to tactically move though the door ( providing the possibility to stay on target ) you have to switch to your pistol BEFORE you decide to enter and clear the room. Or ..... take the full risk and rise the weapon barrel up, move further inside and bring it down again behind the doorframe as fast as possible.

And thats the bad solution in sandstorm ( and many other FPS games do it the same way !!! ) .. the weapon rises automatically when it has wall / doorframe contact ( which i don´t want ) AND it takes too long to bring the weapon back to optimum position. These two points get people killed very very often !

Trying to clear a room with a long barreled weapon is always tricky and a bad choise as you have to stay in distance with the barrel muzzle to the doorframe to be able to hit a target which is hiding in a position behind the corner of the door. So the best choice still would be a short barrelled weapon like the Heckler&Koch MP5/MP7, KRISS Vektor, FN P90, etc. or just a pistol to have enough space between the barrel muzzle and the doorframe.

This is the point where three things would help :

• Adding a mod where we can carry two primary weapons ( like this mod in Insurgency2014 - damn, i forgot the name of it ), one long Rifle and one short barreled SMG.
  • changing the weapon mechanics --> let the weapon barrel have contact to the wall / doorframe and keep it there while the Operator moves and let the aim be pushed to the wrong side as long as the operator moves in that specific direction. That would at least feel realistic and give the chance to realize that the long barrel of the weapon does not fit sideways when moving through a doorframe.
    Before getting in a risky position the operator could stop and quickly switch to pistol.
  • let the mechanic like it is right now but reduce the time to bring down the weapon barrel again ( 50-100 miliseconds !? ), which would be the worst solution to the existing problem ( my personal opinion )

( it´s hard to describe for me in english as it´s not my native language, sorry guys, i hope you all understand what i mean )

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

@sgt-kanyo said in Strange ADS Animation:

Absolutely no problem here. If you ever held a real gun, you know it takes time to align your sight. Especially with iron sights you have to align it. If you do that super fast in real life, you'll miss your alignment and it might take you even more time to align your sight.
The fact that the sniper rifles ADS in like 0.1 seconds when the bipod is deployed is the bigger problem. Especially with a high power scope, you need a lot more time to align it. It's not just a quick movement. Hell it's even hard keeping it aligned, let alone align it.

I mean, the issue here is that re-ADSing is faster than trying to recover from ramming your gun into a wall by accident.

Ah I understand. I guess it could be because your weapon is a much worse position.
For example it's moved backwards, it's tilted away, so you wouldn't feel it as good as if you were carrying it from your hip.

@sgt-kanyo It could still be far faster, though. Why would you start lowering the gun really fast, and slow it way down before you're actually on-target? Realistically, it kind of makes sense, but it's incredibly annoying in-game.

Yah, this is a weird one. Part of the solution is to just not be so close to cover in the first place. I see people with little tactical training do this all the time in real life before they learn to back off and work behind cover rather than on top of it.

But there's some odd video-game stuff going on. It's a lot more difficult to judge distance to cover on a monitor than it is in real life, so this can certainly happen even when trying not to. Also, if for whatever reason I was forced into a tight space with a rifle in a situation with an imminent threat, I'd never collapse the rifle muzzle up like the game does. I'd rotate the rifle on it's side and pull the stock over my shoulder so I could still fire at a threat.

@marksmanmax said in Strange ADS Animation:

I mean, the issue here is that re-ADSing is faster than trying to recover from ramming your gun into a wall by accident.

Yah, that's certainly a technical issue. It shouldn't be faster to un-aim and then aim again that it is to simply recover the rifle.