MP5 Reloads,

Hey Guys, Loving the MP5s. I understand that you are still working on all the animations but i thought I would put this here to save you having to redo them because they are incorrect.

You cannot insert a magazine into an MP5 if the bolt is forward, it requires a lot of force and is time consuming. the bolt must be locked back first for a new magazine to be inserted.

Here is a video on reloading with the MP5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CofI70hK2ls

I'm not trying do deduct from the work you guys are doing and I am Extremely happy with the way the game has turned out. keep it up.
cheers.

last edited by Gangward

@Gangward
I don´t agree in this point.
As someone who has been working with the MP5 in Duty, i can assure that you can put a full loaded magazine ( 30 rounds full loaded ) into an MP5 when the bolt is in forward position.
You need a little more pressure yes, but it´s not a real problem. The pressure of the magazine spring has to be overcome to put it in correctly.
So the more rounds in the magazine are the more pressure you need to press it in so that the magazine snaps in.
If you fill the magazine to the full capacity you might find it tricky to insert the magazine but if your not the weakest person you can do it with a little force.
So i would propose not to load the magazines to the maximum capacity.
Just load them with 29 rounds and you will not encounter any loading problems in any fast reload situation.
You can also see that in in Minute 7 of the video you linked.
The magazine inserted there is not full and you see how easy it snaps in although the bolt is in forward position.

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

@gangward said in MP5 Reloads,:

You cannot insert a magazine into an MP5 if the bolt is forward, it requires a lot of force and is time consuming.

This is bullshit.

Yes you can, I have done it for years, you just gotta get it in there with some authority, and it's exactly how you should train with those weapons, you cannot be silk-gloving them and expect it to translate over to combat stress scenarios. You have to be heavy-handed with the procedures (you're also supposed to slap the mag to be sure it's seated properly to avoid it falling out). That guy in the video is preaching his personal opinion, not what has been taught for years in military training, he's even doing it in a clearly soft way to try to emphasize that "his way" being "better", and the fact that he would rather advocate for wasting ammo than to just be heavy-handed shows he is more interested in selling "his way" of doing it than actually prioritizing the things taught by military instructors. The only time you're really likely to encounter proper struggles of inserting on a closed bolt is when you've overloaded your mag to 31 (because yes, a lot of MP5 mags you can actually overload them, the leeway in the mags that allow them to be overloaded is there for the explicit purpose to be able to reload on a closed bolt).

last edited by Mainfold

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'll also chime in that it's certainly possible to insert a full mag with the bolt closed on an MP5. More difficult than with it open, but certainly possible.

And to make a further point: this is actually a thing with any magazine-fed firearm. The purpose of the magazine spring is to push rounds up into the path of the moving bolt so it will, by design, need to be compressed when a magazine is inserted with the bolt closed in any weapon. It's more difficult with some weapons than others, but it will always be something to consider, and it's why it's good practice to give a magazine a good slap after inserting to ensure it's all the way seated. For a while it was popular to load the metal USGI M16 magazines to 28 rounds to make them easier to insert. The Magpul P-Mags are a little bit longer specifically so that they can be loaded to 30 while maintaining spring travel.

what has been taught for years in military training, he's even doing it in a clearly soft way to try to emphasize that "his way" being "better", and the fact that he would rather advocate for wasting ammo than to just be heavy-handed shows he is more interested in selling "his way" of doing it than actually prioritizing the things taught by military instructors.[ Spankbang Beeg Redtube

last edited by saertm